RKordel - Introduction from Pennsylvanian

RKordel - Introduction from Pennsylvanian

by Richard Kordel -
Number of replies: 2

Greetings to all who visit this introduction

Where are you from?

a. I am “from” New York City, but that was many years ago. I currently live in Millersville, Pennsylvania.

b. I am from the world of corporate training, so may have (and bring) a somewhat different perspective on the topics of the course.

What else? (your work, your experiences, etc.)

I currently live a dual life.

Half of my work is done in the corporate sector, specifically in training and development. I spent 15 years with Verizon, developing and deploying very large scale computer based learning before striking out on my own a few years ago. At one point we had over 500 classrooms in 38 states, but our record keeping was not what we wanted. We tried to invent the wheel that this class now seems ready to discuss.

The other half of my life is involved with teaching, usually topics in training. I have taught as an adjunct at Harrisburg University and Penn State. I enjoy teaching and hope to find a full time position at some point in the future.

Why are you interested in this course?

As noted, I have worked in the corporate environment for many years, and have been fascinated with how humans learn, and with how to measure that learning. That includes the topics listed in the syllabus, but also ventures into some things that may be associated only peripherally. One such item is as how to determine (as a developer) if the content of a course is a valid representation of content mastery, or only represents the opinion of one (or a subset) of subject matter experts. I understand that this may clearly be a "matter of opinion" in many cases (i.e. sales, managment), but much corporate training is involved with issues of safety and compliance, and in these cases there really may be only one permissible way to do things. Can that be measured? How?

What has to happen in order for you to consider this course a success?

On a personal and selfish level I would think that becoming conversant with the content, as expressed in the syllabus and readings would constitute one measure of success. However, as an educator I am also aware that a “course” is something more ephemeral, and constitutes a shared learning experience in which we all learn and teach each other. I am concerned that in a group of 400 some elements of this shared experience may be compromised by the sheer logistics of trying to track what 400 people may be saying at any moment. (viz. scroll the large number of introductory posts with no responses). I am not sure how this part of the course will turn out, but I am keeping a happy thought, and a personal commitment to share what relevance I can.

Cheers,

Richard Kordel

In reply to Richard Kordel

Re: RKordel - Introduction from Pennsylvanian

by George Siemens -
Welcome here, Richard. Great to see representation from the corporate sector - many early early analytics examples come from there.

A quick note about your final point about how to become conversant in this topic given the large number of participants and the lack of replies to introductions in this forum...from other open courses I've been involved in, this is quite typical. Once we engage in content discussions (starting Monday), the tone changes considerably and engagement with others is more pronounced.
In reply to Richard Kordel

Re: RKordel - Introduction from Pennsylvanian

by Gillian Palmer -
Hi Richard, I think there are a few of us in this course who have similar, not wholly academic, backgrounds and I look forward to working here with you.
Also, to add to George's point, I know I for one am 'guilty' of not replying to many of the introductions but I am reading them all and have responded to a few old friends and new arrivals privately or through other channels just so I can keep track of the inbox. I rashly only set up one incoming tag when I signed up and now have to find the time to do some categorising blush
Best,
Gillian