Greetings from Porto Alegre, Brazil

Greetings from Porto Alegre, Brazil

by Gabriela Bulla -
Number of replies: 2
Hi everybody!

I'm a PhD candidate in Applied Linguistics at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), in Porto Alegre, Brazil. My research focuses on the joint construction of online collaborative learning communities and online additional language learning.

I’m here to learn about Learning and Knowledge Analytics, so that I can decide whether it may be useful for my research purposes or not. I’ve found out about it in a conversation with Prof. Barry Wellman, when he suggested I should get to know more about Caroline Haythornthwaite’s work, and go to the conference in Banff. As I won’t be able to go there, I thought participating in this open course would be a good opportunity to get a basic overview of LKA.

I hope we have a good time learning together! :)

Cheers!
In reply to Gabriela Bulla

Re: Greetings from Porto Alegre, Brazil

by Kami Mutan -
Hi Gabriella!

I am also a PhD student of linguistics.
I haven't decided on the exact topic of my research yet, but I would definitely like to do something related to online communities.
I would like to hear more about the research you are conducting, if that's OK with you.

Saludos!!!

In reply to Kami Mutan

Re: Greetings from Porto Alegre, Brazil

by Gabriela Bulla -
Hi, Kami!

That's great!

Is your University in Chile part of AUGM? I'm asking that because I've started collecting the data for my research in a language course called CEPI (Curso de Espanhol-Português para Intercâmbio) [you may check the paper attached for that matter]. So that I could get data from a language course oriented by a conception of language use (I could find many courses oriented by a concept of language as structure!), we had to create a course, hehe! So we've been working on the course creation since 2007, and on January 17th 2011 we finally got our first group! And that's why now I'm in the process of collecting my data. :)

Well, I've gotta run so that I can catch up with this course! I'm tooooo late! hehe! But we'll keep on talking throughout this course! ;)

Nice meeting you!