Facilitator and student ombudsmen...

Facilitator and student ombudsmen...

by dave cormier -
Number of replies: 19
I'm one of the facilitators of this course, but more, really, for my experience in open online courses than for my record of research in learning analytics. I've been a dabbler in the field over the past 18 months and am looking forward to learning more, in a more focused way, over the next few months.

I'm going to consider myself the 'ombud' for the student in this course, particularly for the uninitiated. There are a number of challenges to running this kind of course, and, in particular, the difficulty with running an introduction to a topic filled with experts who all want to talk to each other at an 'expert' level. I'll blog more about this during the course, but feel free to send your concerns and complaints my way.

I'm very interested to know where people are having difficulties or where there are challenges. So fire away.
In reply to dave cormier

Re: Facilitator and student ombudsmen...

by Asif Devji -
Hi Dave,

The ombud role in the MOOC seems new and interesting -- would it be correct to assume this was one of the takeaways from the research conducted in the previous courses?
In reply to Asif Devji

by Asif Devji -
Hi again Dave,

Kept checking back but never received an answer to my question to the ombud -- a bit disappointed.

Not sure if my takeaway from this little exchange should be that I shouldn't have asked questions about previous research and how that shaped the structure of the current course.

If so, makes me feel like a bit of a guinea-pig -- or subject of an ethnographic study -- who is not meant to benefit from my own participation in the experiment.

If so, also makes me feel a bit like I have been 'lurked'.

Hope this data helps.

Thanks,
Asif
In reply to dave cormier

by Mark Gbur -
Hello Dave,

I think there is a potential to inject a feedback mechanism in this course, and any MOOC for that matter, with regard to the helpfulness of reading material in the Syllabus. I think that would especially suit the Learning & Knowledge Analytics course.

I think gauging which articles are helpful from session to session, and ordering them for experience levels could be extremely beneficial to both facilitators and participants. For the purposes of LAK, the data may prove useful for research efforts.

A short poll for each corresponding article should suffice.

I outlined things here: http://bit.ly/dQHQdT

Cheers,
-Mark
In reply to Mark Gbur

by Hans de Zwart -
EDM = Educational Data Mining

I really like this idea Mark. I for one would not mind filling in a survey at the end of each week and also divulging a bit more about myself, if the results of that survey would then be shared with everyone as open data.

All for the progress of science!
In reply to Hans de Zwart

by Vanessa Vaile -
Thanks ~ after coming across a de-acronymized version, I found some basic info links. Now I'm on the lookout for a good glossary, tool for learning the language.

Here's hoping I don't exhaust my learning curve too early on!
In reply to dave cormier

by Barbara Dieu -
Hello Dave,
Neither a concern nor a complaint. Just to let you know and ask you a favour.

I have taken your MOOC videos which Leigh posted in the Commons and started adding subtitles to them at Universal Subtitles so that it is easier for people to translate them into their own languages later.

What is a Mooc? has already been subtitled and part of it translated into Portuguese.

Would you send me the original text (or insert it directly there) to make life easier :-)

Success in a Mooc
Knowledge in a Mooc (not uploaded yet)

B.
In reply to Barbara Dieu

by Kami Mutan -
Great idea Bee!
I totally volunteer for translating them into Spanish.

Wonderful job with the videos, Dave!
I am a big fan of the "in plain English" style :)
In reply to dave cormier

by marcella marcelli -
Hi Dave, since you volunteered to solve people's problems here's my pragmatic request: would it be possible to have downloadable audio files of the Elluminate sessions?
Thanks
Marcella Marcelli
In reply to marcella marcelli

by Barbara Dieu -
Sylvia and George have posted the links to the Elluminate recordings together with separate mp3 files , chat transcript and slides here.
http://scope.bccampus.ca/course/view.php?id=365
In reply to Barbara Dieu

by David Jones -
Thanks for the pointer Barbara. I'd missed that addition.

If it's useful, I've used the mp3s to create a podcast of lak11 presentations that is available from here http://feeds.feedburner.com/lak11podcast

In reply to dave cormier

by marcella marcelli -
Issue of the MP3 for the Elluminate solved, here I come again, pragmatically time-phobic as usual: what about MP3 files rendering for the suggested readings, too?
Free TTS internet Apps are not particularly good: can you help?
Thanks
M.M.

by Barbara Dieu -
My pleasure :-)
You could always try Natural Reader and contribute to LAK11 with the resulting mp3.
In reply to Barbara Dieu

by marcella marcelli -
I'll run the risk of repeating myself: the quality of TTS free services is pretty bad (e.g. Natural Reader -Vox me etc) and the effort to understand what they read can give a headhacke.
Not everybody might have the necessary time to do the reading of all the documents!
I thought some university "rock star" could have access to proper software (ever heard about Loquendo??) and could help. Since this forum here is meant to be for help I just wanted to know if it was possible to get it: if it isn't, it doesn't matter.
Didn't mean to disturb anyone: if it sounded so I apologize.
BTW if I had a good software I would do it and post it for everybody.

by Barbara Dieu -

marcella marcelli wrote,

BTW if I had a good software I would do it and post it for everybody.

So would I, Marcella and sorry if my suggestion did not meet your expectations. Let's hope that there are some university "rock star" professors around to help you.
In reply to dave cormier

by Rebecca Ferguson -
Hi Dave,
It's been a busy week, and I'm coming in a little late.
At this stage there is so much going on, that I'm beginning to feel the need for a course to guide me through the course.
I think I'd find it helpful to have your intro message 'pinned' at the top of the forum - so it isn't lost within a deluge of introductions.
I'd find it helpful to have someone in each busy discussion thread (eg 20 posts or more) to summarise the week's discussion in a post, and then have the previous week's posts moved to an archive of the week. So, for example, if you come in at week 2 there is a post summarising Hunch discussion so far. Other posts are available if you are interested, but are filed in an archive folder. The discussion can carry on, but it carries on from the summary.
Last time I worked on an online course with several hundred participants this approach worked well - when we left all the posts at the top level, students began to panic at how much there was to do and how difficult it was to find things. Writing summaries proved a useful learning exercise - and because only one person summarised each thread the work wasn't too overwhelming for any one individual.
Rebecca
In reply to dave cormier

by Mary McEwen -
Hi Dave,

I'm enjoying the relative chaos of orienting in a MOOC tongueout But I'm also wondering about tools to make that easier, especially in light of George's post about artifacts of sense-making. In particular I'd like to find participants with similar foci to mine in regards to learning analytics, without reading every post and reply. I was thinking that if we had a VUE (or CMAP) diagram based on participant's interests, it would help. It would be great if you could click on an interest node, and see the list of participants including that interest in their profile (it would also be nice to have a hyperlink to their email/blog/etc. but one could always look that up if they've posted an introduction). I would be willing to give a prototype of the tool a shot, IF it was possible to somehow aggregate that information in some format (XML, csv, mysql, or whatever). [I suppose I could also go through everyone's introduction by hand, but I don't think I'm THAT interested in the tool smile.] It would be even better if the tool could be automated, because interests can be dynamic. Do you know is there a way to get that data (at minimum username, and interests) ?

Thanks!
Mary McEwen