Forum Discussion Activity: SCoPE Interview

Forum Discussion Activity: SCoPE Interview

by Glenn Groulx -
Number of replies: 3

Here is an interview I had with Sylvia Currie at the ETUG workshop last week. Sylvia is the SCoPE community facilitator. What are your impressions of the interview about SCoPE community? Was there anyhting that surprised you? Also: Was there something else you wanted to comment on or ask about? You can use your blog to comment on this topic, or respond in this forum thread.

Spotlight on SCoPE - A Chat with Sylvia Currie

In reply to Glenn Groulx

Re: Forum Discussion Activity: SCoPE Interview

by caren levine -
I enjoyed the interview very much - fun to hear voices and it was a great interview. Plus, I liked the way that you integrated audio, Glenn. Something to think about - can you say a little about the tools that you used to do this?

It was great to hear more about SCoPE's history. I knew bits and pieces and this was a good way of bringing it together for me.

Items that made impressions on me (in no particular order):
  • the openness of the community - people can pop in and out (like, um, me), and as a result, there is a sense of expandable community
  • how Sylvia models community stewardship - in terms of facilitation techniques, institutional history
  • Sylvia's observations on how members model good participation techniques - and how those techniques are often adapted by other members
  • the ways in which Sylvia taps into community talent
In reply to caren levine

by Sylvia Currie -
Oh my, I sat up straight in my seat when Caren mentioned that one thing that made an impression in the interview was "how Sylvie models community stewardship". I feel like so many things are just falling off my plate these days that I'm anything but a good model. So I'm glad it's not completely obvious to everyone that I'm scrambling like crazy and feeling a little inadequate! mixed

Caren also asked about the tools used to do the interview. I also received email from a colleague at Thompson Rivers University asking the same question, thinking that it might be something he will use in the online course he is designing/teaching. So I thought I'd put it out here in the forum. Glenn of course can talk about what he used for this interview, but what are some other useful tools and techniques for integrating audio into blogs?
In reply to Glenn Groulx

by Leva Lee -
Hi Glenn,
I enjoyed listening to your interview with Sylvia. Incorporating audio is a nice way to switch to another mode from the text-based discussion/presentation of information. I am familiar with SCoPe and its origins so nothing too new here for me. I would agree with Caren that Sylvia is the exemplar of community facilitators---welcoming, open, providing context and synthesis to discussions and driving home the idea of sharing and always generous herself with ideas on how to do this. Yay Sylvia!
Leva