Learning Management Systems

Re: Learning Management Systems

by Christie Mason -
Number of replies: 0
I just wanted to make sure that there was no confusion between comments regarding Java and JavaScript.

All of the WYSIWYG text editors that I've experienced use JavaScript running within the browser/client side to embed links, transfer files, images, CSS etc. Java is a compiled language that has limited popularity running on the web due to its complexity and security issues. Like many companies, I've disabled Java from running from any computers under my control.

For many years I've been watching the growth and direction of LMS and CMS applications. What I've found most interesting is that LMS apps cost many, many times more than CMS apps for less functionality, less usability, difficult to use admin interfaces, and less security. After talking to many LMS vendors over the years, what has remained constant is that SCORM compatibility is the reason for the large difference in pricing. Many times vendors use JavaScript, Java, Flash, and other techniques (such as frames) which are not web accessible best practices to deliver SCORM requirements on the web.

As a web developer, I have a lot of sympathy for Apple's decisions to not support Flash and Java on their devices. From the learning content that I've seen, only about 1-2% actually requires Flash delivery. The rest w/b better, more accessible, delivered as text/images managed by a CMS. For those topics that require Flash, it w/b simple to create an external file and link to it within the CMS.

PS I just had to edit this posting with JavaScript turned on in order to display blank lines between paragraphs because that's what the text editor in use here requires.