Increasing Interaction

Increasing Interaction

by Nancy Riffer -
Number of replies: 9
I've been reviewing our introductions and our comments in this seminar. It seems to me that we fell into having much of our conversation with you, Curt, and rarely talked with or responded to anyone else. Curt's comments are usually followed by comments from the person he commented on. Others don't seem to jump in.

I'm wondering whether there are activities we could have done early on to increase our interactions with a range of others. Drawing on activities in the book, a couple of ideas occurred to me, e.g., interview each other in pairs and share results, or work with an example of a situation someone is facing with particulars described.

What do you think we might have done to make this group more interactive? Are there Learning Activities we could have used to get ourselves more involved?

In reply to Nancy Riffer

Re: Increasing Interaction

by Christine Horgan -

Nancy:

As my intention was to mostly lurk in this seminar, I'm right on target, but that doesn't help move the conversation forward.

I don't have the textbook and may not have it until well after the seminar ends, so I'm at a distinct disadvantage. There seem to be several others like me.

are there a half dozen activities from the book that someone with the book can offer the group and we can discuss those activities. If there's something simple and "do-able" beyond powerpoint (with or without voice over), video clips, e-whiteboards, and colour for text....I'm interesting in hearing about it.

many thanks, Chris Horgan

In reply to Christine Horgan

by Curt Bonk -
Sorry you do not have a book.  I know that they are out there since I have ordered boxes of them and personally signed more than 100 copies.
In reply to Nancy Riffer

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

Nancy said: What do you think we might have done to make this group more interactive?

I have been learning online for a number of years as an MA and doctoral student. I noticed that when instructors are silent, the class is more active. Does that make sense?

In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Jeffrey Keefer -
Nellie, this in an interesting point. What strategies can can you suggest for getting the learners to the point that they feel involved and activated enough to participate, as opposed to simply feeling lost with the absence of an instructor? I have an online class coming up, and can use any tips you can offer!
In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

Hi Jeffrey,

The instructor adds discussion questions that must be substantiative and at least 250 words. Students respond to each others' responses using citations from current peer reviewed articles. The instructor lurks in the background.

If you decide to try it, please keep me posted on how things go.

In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by Kyla Bates -

Jumping in here - I think it is the instructors responsibility to get the conversation started in an engaging way, then back out as the students start responding.  It is learning balance and ways to fire up the conversation.  It never hurts to start with something that has many ways to look at it.

Kyla

In reply to Kyla Bates

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

Hi Kyla,

I totally agree with you. Instructors may wish to set up clear learning objectives, activities, and back out to allow students to become responsible independent learners. Instrucotrs should model effective transformational leadership skills. I would love to learn how others are facilitating full or blended e-learning courses in higher education.

Thank you.

Nellie

In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Sylvia Currie -
I've mentioned this book a few times in SCoPE seminars to the point that people probably think I get a cut, but honestly it is the very best book for anyone facilitating online learning. It's even better if you can take the course through concord.org that is based on the book (if it's still offered -- I don't see it listed). Actually this book with R2D2 makes a nice package!

http://www.atwoodpublishing.com/books/160.htm

Facilitating Online Learning: Effective Strategies for Moderators
by George Collison, Bonnie Elbaum, Sarah Haavind, and Robert Tinker

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Jeffrey Keefer -
Sylvia, this title looks interesting though it appears a bit dated. Do you think it is still current? No, I have not yet seen it.