Nailing down the chapter outline

Nailing down the chapter outline

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 16
First of all, you may have noticed that chapter 3 has become chapter 4! No problem, our chapter title remains the same: Online Course Design.

The sections outlined for our chapter can be changed, moved around, reworked, etc. Someone was asking about where different steps to design might fit in (i.e. analysis, design, develop, implement, evaluation, to name one method). Good question!

In reviewing this chapter outline, do you see any changes we should make?
  • Designing your course
  • User friendliness (colour, layout)
  • Modules and organization
  • Course objectives
  • Teaching styles
  • Learning styles
  • Lesson presentation
  • Target audience
  • Linear versus non-linear design
  • Consistency and structure

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Nailing down the chapter outline

by Sylvia Currie -
Hi Liz and June,
We have our first deadline coming up! By March 24th we should have a detailed outline ready for Chapter 4. I created a chapter outline wiki for us to add more details, shuffle things around, etc.

by Elizabeth Wallace -

Hi Liz and June:

I was just playing in the wiki (I guess I found it after all, Sylvia!). I'm wondering if we should agree on some protocols for change. June, I don't know you well, and I don't want to offend you by mucking about with some of your ideas.   I have no problem mucking about with Sylvia's stuff :-)

For example, there's an entry that refers to Course Objectives, and I'm an Outcomes fan. If we have differences, does our mayor have the final word? Now I've got going, this will be fun. But I don't want to step on toes. Thoughts?

Liz

In reply to Elizabeth Wallace

Protocol

by Sylvia Currie -
Liz, thanks for adding your ideas about the course outline to the wiki! We need to rework some of the terminology, so we're heading in the right direction. (I've never used the word "lesson" in my life -- preferring to describe and centre design around "activities" and collaborative processes) For a post secondary audience we need to match that terminology, but we also want to emphasize active learning for online courses.

Re protocol, how about if we use colour for our comments. So if we change a word or move an item, explain what you're thinking using coloured text. I claim the colour orange! Eventually we'll end up with an outline and we can remove the comments. Wiki history saves all the versions, so if necessary we can go back and dig up the past.

Re: Protocol

by Elizabeth Wallace -

Well I usually choose red, but I've picked blue because it stands out better against Sylvia's orange. What about you June?

And I'm a bit confused if you didn't put in the "lesson" word. Was that original outline provided by someone else? I've been afraid to edit too much because I thought one of us three had created those headings. And how much detail do we have to put in?

chapter outline

by Sylvia Currie -
Good questions! A bit of history...The original outline came from David Harper and Sandy Hirtz. It was meant to be a starting point and we can change it as we see fit. But we (meaning me, as mayor) need to keep tabs on what is happening in other chapters so there's no overlap.

The outline, due March 24th, should have the basic topics (subheadings) we plan to cover. I'd say the more detail the better. If we add a paragraph or two to describe each section then that will help to make it clear to everyone else what we're working on.

Re: chapter outline

by June Kaminski -
Hi everyone,

I agree - Objectives is very behaviourist - not at all in accord with my personal philosophy of education. I usually use Learning Outcomes or Ends In View.

Lessons doesn't sit well with me either - but I wasn't sure how much leeway I had in changing the titles already outlined. Thanks Liz, for raising the topic!

I can use green for editing...

By teaching styles are we really referring to learning theories and/or philosophies?

In reply to June Kaminski

by Elizabeth Wallace -

So happy we're all on the same page...literally!  It occurs to me though, that although the three of us might prefer certain language, we need to be inclusive. It will be a challenge for me because I have such strong opinions and choose my words judiciously.  But I'll have to remember that even Behaviourists are nice people :-)

I notice in my email, Sylvia, that David Harper is insisting, albeit kindly, that we provide paragraph descriptions. Do we need a paragraph for each topic. And do we have the appropriate number of topics to make our chapter the same size, length, volume etc as the others?  Shall we just jump in and start writing stuff?  Guidance, your worship.

by Elizabeth Wallace -

OK, June and Sylvia, it so happens that I need to get my teeth into something this week and you'll see that I've been mucking about in the course outline. The whole thing is outrageously blue. Get your paintbrushes out and do some colour correction before I get too carried away...please!

by Sylvia Currie -
I posted a message to the Expo Book Project list about providing an outline first, then paragraphs. (According to David Harper's message the paragraphs for each section would be due before the outlines thoughtful.  There's been no further discussion about that so I think we should focus on providing a good outline as per the original plan. It's starting to take good shape! If we can get the paragraphs in there too that's a bonus.

I'd say our only concern will be that the chapter in itself could be a book :-) It's hard to compare it to other chapters at this point in terms of length.

I'm looking into some joint editing tools and will post some suggestions about how to coordinate the writing part.

by June Kaminski -
These are catchy Liz...

Just to clarify once more, am I doing sections B to H??

Thanks,
June

In reply to June Kaminski

by Sylvia Currie -
That looks right to me, June. Liz is focusing on the first section.

I've been watching how other outlines are rolling out. Chapter 2 has some areas that we be aware of. Here's the latest outline:

http://community.bccampus.ca/expo?go=1162967

And I see Paul Beaufait has already posted a note in our Wiki outline about it! Now there's good example of tools to support collaboration :-)

There's a book project meeting of the mayors tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. (pacific) so I'll find out more, and might see you there! I can't find any information about where the meeting is on the Expo site, but if do I'll post it.

by Elizabeth Wallace -

June, I hope I didn't overstep by putting down my ideas for the whole chapter. I just can't think about my section (A) without thinking about the whole chapter -- for that matter the whole book. All my ideas are just that. I assume other chapter writers are meeting outside SCoPE because up to recently there was little evidence of discussion -- that I could see at least.

So, please take my "blue" notes and tweak as necessary. Looking forward to hearing about the mayors' meeting, Sylvia.

by Sylvia Currie -
The book outline has undergone some major revisions and will be the main topic of the meeting this morning at 10:00.

https://www.elluminate.com/mtg.jnlp?password=337327381

Sandy gave me a sneak preview which was much appreciated! Our chapter hasn't changed, well excpept the title is now: Planning Your Online Course rather than Designing your Online Course.

There will be a separate chapter on Instructional Design right before ours, so we'll keep an eye on that one to make sure there's not too much overlap. Also, there is a new chapter title: Engagement and Communication ? Instructor Perspective. This chapter may have some content related to teaching styles and how it affects course design so another area to watch as it develops.

I've cleaned up our Wiki outline somewhat -- mainly removing question marks and comments.

I'll report back after the meeting today! Also there's been some behind the scenes email as things get fine-tuned so I'll do my best to bring the important stuff forward here.

Sylvia

by June Kaminski -
Looks good Sylvia,

I intended to participate in Friday's meeting but I had a last minute call to attend another meeting (since I am President Elect of the org, I thought I better attend) at the exact same time!

Where do we go from here?? My time is becoming much more free now - once I get this week under my belt, I should be able to start writing!

Hope you are all well,
June

Book project meeting on Friday

by Sylvia Currie -
Just a couple notes from the meeting on Friday and some afterthoughts. Sandy posted notes in the collaborative book project space at the BCcampus elearning Marketplace and Expo community so I don't need to duplicate that here.

1) Eliz, I noticed your smiling face is missing from the bios. I should revise mine. Sandy reminded everyone to update that info here:
http://community.bccampus.ca/expo?go=z1056400

2) There are a number of ellumniate sessions lined up for the book project. Sandy would like us to do one, but I'm not sure how to go about it. For sure I'd like it to be more than a Q&A or presentation of our outline. I'd like to see it more as an opportunity to get something back from the participants that would add value to the chapter content. This may be better as an asynchronous discussion and with more participants, rather than a 1-hour session. Any ideas?

Image and bio on the BCcampus eLearning Marketplace and Expo site

by Sylvia Currie -
There are some meetings lined up beginning next week with prospective book publishers so there is some urgency in updating the bios. If you get a chance before Monday that would be great.
Thanks!