Examples of VPD

Re: Examples of VPD

by Sharon Porterfield -
Number of replies: 2

Heather,

Funny how some activities have various names. The experiences you describe are all considered part of 'mentoring' here at WestJet. There are only two of us with actual education and experience with instructional design. We are put into "pods" (I live a Dilbert existence!) with what could be considered "Jr. Instructional Designers". We brainstorm together, seek advice, and peer review each other's work. They're helping my professional development by teaching me about the airline industry, and I'm helping theirs by teaching them about instructional design. This information is then being disseminated into the business units as we take what we have learned and share with our SMEs.

Is VPD the new term for 'mentoring', or do others see them as distinct activities?

Sharon

In reply to Sharon Porterfield

by Heather Ross -
It's interesting that mentoring, at leas the way you describe, is a two-way street. You learn from each other as opposed to it being in a single direction.

I believe it was Lao Tzu who said something along the lines of if you learn something and never pass that knowledge on to others than the knowledge you gained was waisted.

I think that any learning that involves learning from others (F2F or some method of distance communication) that doesn't involve formal workshops, classes or conferences can probably be considered VPD (Jennifer, correct me if I'm wrong).
In reply to Heather Ross

by Jennifer Jones -
I think the key to identifying actual VPD is that it spreads outward, not just linearly. But, it's a made-up term, so anything goes, right?