Welcome to our SCoPE seminar on ePortfolios

Welcome to our SCoPE seminar on ePortfolios

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 9
Welcome to the ePortfolio seminar!

About this seminar:
During this 2-week seminar Catherine Paul and Roselynn Verwoord will introduce us to UBC's Portfolio Community of Practice. They have invited members of the CoP to share their teaching and course eportfolios and encourage all seminar participants to discuss their experiences with portfolio projects. This seminar will be of interest to those involved in or curious about portfolio projects, as well as to those interested in building and facilitating faculty communities of practice.

We have scheduled this web conference as part of this 2-week discussion:
• Tuesday, June 1 at 13:00 PDT, 20:00 GMT in Elluminate: http://UBCportfolio.notlong.com

About our facilitators:
Roselynn Verwoord is a Community of Practice Developer at University of British Columbia's Centre for Teaching and Academic Growth, and an instructor for the Family and Community Counselling Program at the Native Education College in Vancouver.

Catherine Paul is a Community of Practice coordinator at UBC's Office of Learning Technology. Catherine builds communities on campus around teaching and learning with technology by organizing Community of Practice meetings, facilitating workshops, and working as a project manager.

Deb Carter, Coordinator of the Education Technology Centre, Faculty of Education, UBC Okanagan, will be moderating our web conference on June 1. (Thanks Deb!)

Participating in SCoPE seminars:
SCoPE seminars are free and open to the public, and registration is not required. You are welcome to come and go according to your schedule and interests. To contribute you will need to create an account on the SCoPE site -- a quick process. Are you new to SCoPE or wondering how to manage your participation? Check this resource.

If you have any questions about participating in SCoPE don't hesitate to ask here in the forum, or get in touch with me directly:
Sylvia Currie, SCoPE Coordinator scurrie@bccampus, skype:webbedfeat, 250-318-2907
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Gathering seminar highlights and resources

by Sylvia Currie -
We will be gathering highlights and resources from our seminar into the ePortfolio wiki. Feel free to add and edit!

Also, during our Collaborating Online seminar we started a SCoPE Diigo group as a way to bookmark our resources related to seminar discussions. If you tag your resources 'eporfolios' for this seminar we can gather them here: http://groups.diigo.com/group/scopecommunity/content/tag/eportfolios

If you have no idea what I'm talking about just ask! thoughtful

Re: Gathering seminar highlights and resources

by Paul Beaufait -
Great idea for sharing bookmarks of online resources, Sylvia, as well as assembling "seminar highlights and [other] resources" in a SCoPE wiki.

The spelling of the tag you suggest for Diigo group bookmarks caught my teacher's eye, and renewed my wonder when portfolios will lose their e- like mail has.

Cheers, Paul

Re: Welcome to our SCoPE seminar on ePortfolios

by Catherine Paul -
Hello everyone,
It's great to have a chance to meet with you all online! We look forward to hearing from you about how you're using eportfolios and generally discuss the benefits and challenges of this approach. Thanks to Sylvia for helping make this happen.

I'm excited to see what the next two weeks have in store!

Cheers,
Catherine
In reply to Catherine Paul

by Chrys Dean -
Hello everyone,

To briefly introduce myself, I am an Instructional Designer at West Virginia University, and I have been working with some of our academic programs to pilot and test using electronic portfolios. We have primarily been working with a few programs who already use portfolios in some fashion, and slowly testing the waters.

I will be quite interested to hear about others' experiences.
-Chrys Amy Dean
In reply to Catherine Paul

by Paul Beaufait -
Please allow me to introduce myself briefly here, too.

Though my primary occupation at present is teaching English-as-an-additional-language (EAL) to speakers of other languages in Japan, and my only current explorations through portfolios are for EAL students in intermediate-level writing courses, my attention first turned to portfolios long ago, in a land far away, when and where I assembled selected drawings, paintings, and photographs for critiques in a sturdy cardboard folder too large to transport easily by bicycle. Twenty-five-odd years or so later, I digitized the remnants.

Representations of plastic arts, in the day, consisted largely of 35mm color slides. Computers filled rooms, and input methods depended mainly upon key-punched computer cards. Other artifacts included z-fold printouts from dot-matrix printers, hardly conducive to peer review by any but hard-core programmers. The print-outs often filled arguably accessible and portable ring-binders, as could most artefacts of learning and teaching materials not stored in less accessible and less portable boxes, bins, or filing cabinets.

by Roselynn Verwoord -
Hello everyone and welcome to the two-week seminar highlighting the Portfolio Community of Practice at the University of British Columbia (UBC)!

We are looking forward to meeting you, hearing from you, and to exchanging thoughts and ideas on all things related to portfolios, communities of practice, and portfolio communities of practice.

We encourage you to share your thoughts and ideas (don't be shy) and to engage in some wonderful conversations with colleagues from around the world.

Catherine and I will ensure that we respond to the shared thoughts and comments daily, and we look forward to seeing how the next two weeks unfold!

In the spirit of community,
Roselynn Verwoord

by Dilip Barad -
Dear Facilitator,
I use Microsoft Outlook express for emailing. I do not why but the messages from SCOPE: Seminars take very long time to display and it hangs my mail client for a few mins. I cannot scroll down or move away from this mail. Why does it happen so?
Any clues to solve it?
Dilip Barad
India
In reply to Dilip Barad

by Chrys Dean -
Dilip,

Just a thought:

This might be because something in the HTML code form the forum messages is giving Outlook Express a problem. Some bit that it can't display, but it's still trying. If you set your mode to plain text, that might help, but things will be less prettily formatted. Here is a page about the plain text mode. Hope this helps!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883257

-Chrys Amy Dean
Instructional Designer
West Virginia University
In reply to Chrys Dean

SCoPE messages by email

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for jumping in with a solution for Dilip, Chrys! approve

There's another setting here in SCoPE to switch off HTML email. Go to your profile by clicking on your name, click the 'edit' tab, then select 'plain text' for email format.