Possible structure

Possible structure

by Virginia Yonkers -
Number of replies: 0
I come from the business discipline. In the early 1990's, there was a push to globalize the US business curriculum from AACSB (the accreditation organization for business schools). A major problem was that globalization was not recognized as a discipline within business programs, but rather across programs. As a result, there were many in disciplines within and outside of schools of business doing research on globalization and integrating it into the business curriculum. However, without coordination of research and resources, the international or global business programs were always the first to be cut.

At the same time, there was a conference of International Business, language, and culture that met for 10 years. This group, along with AACSB, brought an agenda to the dept. of Commerce and created CIBER's (Centers for International Business Education and Research). Each CIBER was set up differently, depending on the mandate of the school who applied for the funding. For example, the CIBER at the university of Connecticut had a strong emphasis on language teaching and working with local schools. Michigan State University, on the other hand focused on creating tools for businesses interested in doing business internationally.

I am not recommending that an organization like the CIBERs are created (this was a very expensive undertaking and it appears that the Centers of Excellence in Canada may have mixed results at best). However, one nice feature of the CIBERs is that a CIBERweb was developed which became a central depository for research reports, training, funding opportunities, and links to other CIBERs' activities. Many times, CIBERs would collaborate on specific topics or areas of training. This site has changed location, but still is a central depository for information. I use this site and some of the individual CIBER sites to keep up with research in the field of international business. I would think a similar Canadian E-learningweb that links various agencies and organizations together would be a good way to coordinate and share information on programs, research, funding, etc... MSU's Global edge, for example, allows organizations and individuals to post calls for papers, upload research results, discuss issues in an online forum, and upload sample syllabi and international business modules (e-learning artifacts).

This would allow the differences within provinces, organizational goals and resources, differences in research agendas, and differences in regulations due to level of education and disciplines. This would also allow others from outside of Canada to access what is going on in Canada, thus presenting opportunities for global collaboration.