Team work - large class size

Re: Team work - large class size

by Kassandra Clemens -
Number of replies: 1
I was very interested in the conceptualisation of why students may react differently to group tasks. I do not have much experience with culturally diverse groups but have found that similar problems have confronted me with home students: some taking the lead or dominating while some telling me they do not understand what is asked of them, though the rest of the groups are already hard at work. Therefore, putting into place some of these activities would benefit my learners just the same as well as making the classroom tasks more accessible for culturally diverse students.
In reply to Kassandra Clemens

Re: Team work - large class size

by emma bourassa -
I agree that sometimes there are group issues with domestic students as well. One thing I have found critical in working with students is to tell them why I'm grouping them (e.g. they bring different life experience and knowledge so it builds on what I offer, how it leads to the next task etc.). I believe it is also necessary to include the piece on the value of diversity (rather than assuming this is known) , as the instructor in the video is demonstrating. I have to constantly remind myself that it is not the task that is paramount, it's the learning, so by telling students why, I reinforce my own reasons for the groupings.