International perspectives

International perspectives

by George Siemens -
Number of replies: 5
Given the nature of conversation to kick off week 3 - i.e. a focus on the international perspective - we may wish to include discussion in our document (or whatever we create) of larger international factors. Grainne's presentation can provide useful insight in this regard. It need not be extensive, but it should re-enforce our Canadian focus.

Many participants have an interest in the development of elearning in their own region/country. I can certainly understand the emphasis in looking beyond our narrow Canadian focus. I think our best service in helping other regions to create their own agenda is to create a well reasoned document addressing the Canadian experience and then allowing others to adopt as they wish (this was briefly mentioned in the forums).

Obviously, confining our view to Canada is short sighted. I find myself spending more time each day interacting with non-Canadians than I do with Canadians. However, as Terry mentioned, our focus here is specifically with a Pan-Canadian model. Hopefully opportunities will arise for interacting with others pursuing a similar approach in their own country.

I've valued the international perspective over the last few weeks...whatever we end up producing here will be more valuable due to international participation...

All this to say thanks to international participants...and please don't abandon the conversation because we are pursuing a Canadian focus this week!! We may yet create something that has a more global reach.
In reply to George Siemens

Re: International perspectives

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
George said: Obviously, confining our view to Canada is short sighted. I find myself spending more time each day interacting with non-Canadians than I do with Canadians. However, as Terry mentioned, our focus here is specifically with a Pan-Canadian model.

George,
Thank you for clarifying the focus of the Pan-Canadian model as being specifically Canadian-based, but not necessarily for Canadians (me). I would like to add that as a Canadian living in Israel, my everyday online interactions are with non-Israelis.

I am looking forward to being involved in a more global reach in the future. I invite others to join me when such a session is set up.
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Jeton McClinton -

Nellie, I too, am interested in a more global reach and will drop my name in the hat. This has been an excellent exchange. I teach at an urban university and am a strong supporter of elearning. I realize the benefits to the students and the opportunities presented to the faculty.

In reply to Jeton McClinton

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Hello Jeton,
I am glad to hear that you are interested in a global reach. smile
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Jeton McClinton -

Yes Nellie, I recall seeing a collaborative research project for online course development with a Canadian University a few years ago; I do not remember the document or what type of project was introduced. I wanted to follow-up on this project but lost all contact with the necessary information. When I received this information about the SCOPE conference, I was overly excited to join and see what others in the elearning community had to say. I consider this an excellent avenue to connect students and faculty from difference countries and to use their personal experiences and professional education for further initiatives on elearning etc.

In reply to George Siemens

by Jeton McClinton -

I agree with George Siemen’s concern in reference to a wider audience that includes those academicians beyond Canada. In my point of view, elearning purpose is to incorporate a larger audience and not place limitations in terms of geographical regions. I have reviewed some of the online universities in Canada that encourages students beyond their regions so the elearning agenda should allow for that market as well. Although the focus is specific to Canada, the ideas that develop from this conference can be used to include an international focus as well. I have been developing and teaching online courses for more than ten years and would appreciate any collaboration on an international elearning agenda. I will continue to view the discussions.