Refining our Elearning definition

Refining our Elearning definition

by Susan Lister -
Number of replies: 1
In this, our third and final week, I believe while continuing the debate, we must add action to our words.

I was happy to see that one of the more complete pages in our wiki is the Definitions page (here).
Whether we are talking about elearning or learning with an “E” slant, I believe, as a group, we must hammer out a definition of elearning – or at least a statement about what we feel elearning encompasses. If only for this moment of time, from our particular group.

Although I can generally agree with 10 statements from Mark Nichols and our use of the CCL definition of elearning, I'd like to propose a slight change to Mark Bullen's Elearning continuum. In the attached image, I have included video conferencing, audio cassettes and TV under elearning as well as distance education while I have moved 'print' under just distance education.

Even in its purest sense, I believe elearning can include these technologies and the CCL definition seems to support this thinking... what do others think?

Sue
P.S.and slightly off-topic, here… Can we stop adding my name to the mindmap? We now have others adding/editing/altering (Glen, for instance) which is what is supposed to happen. It really is a collective thing produced from everyone’s presentations, postings and text-chats. smile

Attachment elearningcontinuum_alter2.jpg
In reply to Susan Lister

Re: Refining our Elearning definition

by Terry Anderson -
Thanks for that suggestion Susan. I think it improves the diagram and makes it better reflect real practice.

I have also updated the wiki page on Methodologies and concluded:
  • There is no single best method of researching all of the diverse problems and contexts associated with e-learning implementations and theory development
  • Meaningful collaboration with practitioners is imperative both for the quality of the research and the likelihood that the research will make a difference in real contexts
  • Evidence for decision making should be drawn from many sources and is richest when informed by both interpretive and positivist perspectives
This page needs to be validated/improved/extended by others, so please feel free to edit away!
Terry