Suggestion: Take some time to reflect

Suggestion: Take some time to reflect

by Peter West -
Number of replies: 1

The idea of crafting a Pan-Canadian E-learning Research Agenda is timely and laudable. Canada needs one.

(As a preface to my comments: I regret that my involvement in the Conference has been limited, and apologize if what I present below has already been raised by others.)

From my limited perspective, several important issues (challenges) were emphasized during the Conference.

One example ...

* Broad stakeholder awareness & engagement.
The ongoing absence (or under-representation) of teachers, students, policy-makers (and others) will seriously compromise the development (and future acceptance, funding and execution) of the Agenda or any of its components (e.g., a Declaration).

[Interestingly, this stakeholder-engagement problem is not unique to Education. Other disciplines struggle with the same issues.]

It will be crucial to figure out how best to engage these stakeholders -- from the 'beginning' of an agenda-setting process.

Producing a complete list of issues/challenges might be a useful exercise. (Many of them may have already been captured in Susan Lister's mindmap.)

Respectfully,
Peter West

In reply to Peter West

Re: Suggestion: Take some time to reflect

by Virginia Yonkers -
My experience is with post secondary education in the US. I know that professional organizations with a stake in e-learning, either for university curriculum or professional development, have a major impact on what and how e-learning is designed and evaluated.

I think the following Canadian Organizations are comparable to the US organizations that have had an impact on how we perceive and research e-learning: The Association of the Faculties of Medicine in Canada, CFBSD (Deans of Canadian Business Schools), CMA (Canadian Marketing Association), and CICA (Organization for Canadian Chartered Accountants). Obviously, I have worked in the schools of business so these are organizations that have an impact on what we can do with curriculum, affect accreditation, and impact student choices and program reputation. I would assume that there are comparable organizations in other disciplines.