Session archives, chat transcripts & slides

Session archives, chat transcripts & slides

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 5
The Elluminate session archive, text chat transcript, and presentations slides for today's session E-Learning: The Promise and the Potential with John Biss and Erin Mills are now available:
http://scope.lidc.sfu.ca/course/view.php?id=56#section-2
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Presentation slides for Tom Carey's session

by Sylvia Currie -
Unfortunately we couldn't work our way through some audio problems today at Tom Carey's session. It wasn't for lack of trying though! There were many creative suggestions and interesting experiments! Thanks everyone who jumped in to help.

I've uploaded the presentation slides to Slideshare, and we are working on recheduling our session with Tom.

Re: Session archives, chat transcripts & slides

by Vivian Forssman -

In the context of our synchronous online discussion in context with the Gilbert Paquette presentation earlier today, I can't help but think this little news item is an indicator that a sea-change might be happening. Is this an indicator that RSS and aggregation has made it to institutional acceptance and that maybe UWashington  no longer needs (maybe?) an LMS, they just need syndication/aggregation?

The Chronicle of Higher Education

WiredCampus

May 22, 2008

U. of Washington Lays Off 66 Tech Workers

The University of Washington is laying off 66 employees in its technology department due to competition from free commercial Web-hosted services.

Free or cheap Web-hosted services, such as e-mail and document sharing from Google and Microsoft, are reportedly displacing the university’s tech services. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer says the technology department, which supported itself by charging for its services, was operating at a $10-million annual loss. The department will retain 360 employees.

The Post-Intelligencer reports this as the largest round of layoffs at the university since November 1994, when 200 nontenured faculty and staff positions and several departments were eliminated to meet a budget cut set by Washington’s state legislature.—Catherine Rampell

In reply to Vivian Forssman

by terumi miyazoe -
Interesting article. Here, as I'm saying that the majority of functions that CALL (computer-aided language learning) systems provide can be replaced by free ware and therefore huge amount of cutting costs is possible in schools, I am regarded as dangerous by those who gains merits by those expensive hardware facilities, though I do think LMS kind of management system is necessary for our course providing.

by Sylvia Currie -
The Elluminate session recording, text chat transcript, and presentations slides are available for yesterday's session with George Siemens and Heather Kanuka:

Modeling Collaboration: Researching Professional Development and Learner Needs from a National Perspective

The session begins with a quick recap of the presentations and discussions during the weeks 1 and 2.

http://scope.lidc.sfu.ca/course/view.php?id=56#section-2