Graphical Summary of Week 1 Discussions

Graphical Summary of Week 1 Discussions

by Susan Lister -
Number of replies: 4
Hi all,
I've been reading through the reams of postings from last week and noticed one common theme in many threads was the idea of a graphical representation of many of the issues/points/ideas. So I decided to take a stab at it. My goal was to visually summarize the discussions so we could all get a sense of the major discussions and points made (akin to blog carnivals). By doing this, hopefully, there is a starting point to graphically represent many of the requested areas. I started with Terry's graphic.

The link is here:
http://www.mindmeister.com/maps/pass/6697902
The password is sof2008

You will notice it is not complete...as I have yet to summarize many of the discussions.. including the ReUse, Reduce, discussion thread. It is in an editable format so I invite everyone to change it, add to it, edit it, as you see fit! If you feel this rendition of our discussion is worthwhile and you want to share in the editing, twitter me at slister or email me at sl_info AT yahoo DOT com... I'd love the help!)

IMPORTANT: When you go to the link, you will notice that the quotes are unattributed... yipes!! As an 'attached' compendium to the discussion threads here in SCOPE and not a stand alone graphic... any of the nodes' authors should be found by doing a search of the quoted line in the SOF2008 discussion. For this reason, also, I have password protected the graphic.

Technology Note: This is my first time using mindmeister, I wanted a mindmap I could share so that others could edit it online. I liked the fact that it would import and export FreeMind..
In reply to Susan Lister

Re: Graphical Summary of Week 1 Discussions

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Hi Susan,
Thanks -- I love the look and can "see" great potential for development over the next two weeks and beyond. And I like the use of mindmeister. Jo Ann
In reply to Susan Lister

by Sylvia Currie -
Susan, this mindmeister map is a real gift! Thank you so much for all of your hard work. I will be contacting you about editing access. I encourage others to do the same. approve

Since this discussion is not password-protected, and as you say if somebody wants more context they can always search the SOF conference forums, then it seems reasonable to remove the map password. I like the Mindmeister feature to export the map in various formats.

Thanks again, Susan!

In reply to Susan Lister

by George Siemens -
Hi Susan - great work! Nice way to visualize conversation.

I've found IBMs Many Eyes to be a useful tool as well for exploring term frequency, relatedness of ideas, etc. At this point, it is a manual task (i.e. copy and paste into ManyEyes), but I'm sure a few fine Moodlers could write a script to easily export conversations.

Visualizing conversations is a valuable way of making sense of the sometimes chaotic conversations that occur in online forums...

Thanks for your contribution.
George
In reply to Susan Lister

by Terry Anderson -
Thanks Susan - you have made my weekend.
I was looking for a tool like mindmaster and gone hung up on the knowledge mapping tool OU UK's Compendium

But In expended too much time and ran back to Powerpoint. But your map takes the ideas much further by documenting our current discussions. We will be able to add ideas from the keynotes this week as well.

This is just exactly the kind of "produser" contribution that allows a network to pull together fairly significant products. Thanks again Susan and I hope we resolve a way to edit the map collectively. By adding text to expand various sections we should be able to build the Research agenda as we go along.
Terry