Research: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Research: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

by George Siemens -
Number of replies: 12
Grainne delivered an excellent presentation today on areas where we need research. (Thanks!)

A comment was made in the discussion area (I forget the exact nature) about how existing research (from related domains) fits into the pedagogical, technological, organizational, socio-cultural, contextual domains.

Do we use and reuse research from related domains effectively? (going back to the 80's now: reduce, reuse, recycle...would it help if I asked Cindi Lauper to sing it?).

I think educational researchers are at the point of acquiescing much of their research agenda to neuroscience and related fields. Understanding how we learn will, as is the case with all good philosophies, move from the realm of speculation and indirect observation into the domain of "what is known" through brain research. We've spent decades philosophizing learning theory. We are, I believe, at a point where our understanding of cognitive functioning will be much more clear. If related disciplines advance this aspect of research, what becomes of educational and ed-tech research? Do we use related fields as the foundation and our work becomes more of determining best approaches to tools/procedures? How do we reflect the work of other disciplines in the formation of an elearning agenda?
George
In reply to George Siemens

Re: Research: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

by Rodger Levesque -
Educational researchers don't even use research in their own field effectively. I hope this example can be seen as a "teachable moment." In yesterday's recorded presentation Terry Anderson asks for comments the silence begins at 17:07 and then at 17:24 the silence ends with "ok. Times up. 59 people. we're moving along. thank you anyways." This is absolute basic teacher training stuff. Check out point one under HOW TO ELICIT RESPONSES. And the research on online presentations suggests that response times might be even longer. Here is a link to some of the earliest research on distance learning. Notice the first distance learning experiment took place over 20 years ago. Also notice the sfu url! Educational researchers need more familiarity with their own discipline first.
In reply to Rodger Levesque

by Terry Anderson -
Thanks Rodger for the links and reference to the "research results" I'm sure there is much to learn from both F2F and other forms of one to many/few interaction.

But don't forget to think about the tremendous effect of the context. The interactive event you timed, was that mix of entertainment, information presentation and 'interaction' that is a keynote talk. But is also different in that the sidebars of text interaction also afford interactions. We created together a unique and very volatile context. This type of online activity likely has large scale effects as more real time participants are added to the web conference. It then adds value in its archived form for those not available in real time. For them waiting for questions, to which they cannot reply, seems to me to be a bit tedious!

The context also included my nervousness at the start of this event and wanting to use the time to best effect - and I did get mostly into 'presentation' rather than audience interaction mode. I guess I was also acting with some sort of 'teacher or performer presence' which we tend to highlight in real time audio conferencing.

Anyways, Rodger, I take it as you suggest 'a teachable moment'.
Thanks
Terry
In reply to Terry Anderson

by Rodger Levesque -
Terry, I have to say on day two of a three week conference, the number of posts and forums is already overwhelming. Your presentation was a bit too much information at once as well. Luckily, I watched it as a recording so I was able to back up and listen to something I'd missed because I was reading that collective stream of talk in the side bar. (while simultaneously playing four games of chess blindfolded! you get what I mean you've got to be some sort of savant to keep up with the multiple streams.)

As a teacher working with special needs kids, response time was something I heard, read, and practiced, so when you broke the silence so quickly I noticed it. I appreciate the context as you describe it. And the Feenberg article I linked in my previous post explores the anxiety of performing through technology. (The article might be useful to Nellie's Who's afraid of elearning thread as well.) I didn't time the silence. There was a counter there on the interface doing it for me.

I wasn't sure how pointing that moment out would come across, but it was a completely fresh and documented example of the disconnect between theory and practice. And the second time you open up the mic questions came through almost immediately. You aren't dealing with children or an audience new to the technology. But even people who regularly use computers get anxious. Computer-performance anxiety? Yours was a good presentation and an interesting discussion all around.

The point I am trying to get across is the lack of discipline in education studies. The field of computer assisted distance learning is over 25 years old, yet the general vibe from the discussions here is that it's a brand new field. Web 2.0 is an essentially meaningless buzzword dreamed up by a sales team, and it's thrown around like it has weight. Remember Generation X? The marketers went wild with that one too, and then Y and some even went as far as Z. Cell phones in education? That's a parody writing itself. Web phone 3.0 isn't a bad research topic in itself, but without a strong scientific/philosophical/historical foundation it amounts to fanboy drivel or marketing spin. You can point to Stephen Downes and say look, ed tech research is rock solid, but for every Stephen Downes, who's done and continues to do his homework, there are a large number of "researchers" who need to dig a little deeper.

I should qualify that a little. I am outside the academic world, so I don't see the work going on in journals. This is my perception of the online community. There may be good work circulating in faculties, away from the eyes of teachers and principals, that I haven't seen.

To take this back to the thread, the strongest education research would be connected to or at least aware of the relevant work in other disciplines. Elearning needs at the very least a philosophy.
In reply to Rodger Levesque

by Valerie Irvine -
In response to Rodger Levesque who wrote:
Terry, I have to say on day two of a three week conference, the number of posts and forums is already overwhelming. Your presentation was a bit too much information at once as well. ...I wasn't sure how pointing that moment out would come across, but it was a completely fresh and documented example of the disconnect between theory and practice. ... The point I am trying to get across is the lack of discipline in education studies.

I can understand your point, Rodger, but I receive your point much less favourably than Terry. I applaud Terry for kicking off this initiative to build up a network to connect Canadian researchers and delivering an informative session. The task ahead is formidable and - as the saying goes - it's easier to tear down than to build up...

I would appreciate more posts in this forum that use our creative thought to help shape this research agenda and come up with strategies for its advocacy.

Valerie
In reply to Valerie Irvine

by Rodger Levesque -
Is it really easier to tear down than build up? Isn't it possible that the frustration edutech advocates are expressing in this conference is an inability to tear down traditional ideas in education? And if talking about what's going on in this conference without waving pompoms is looked upon unfavourably, there is an outside, but very relevant, example in the science vs. religion debate. While scientists were busy catching atoms, exploring space and working with stem cells, Christians were busy teaching their children about creation.

I am, and have been, proposing strategies for the advocacy of a research agenda. Why advocate for something that isn't the best it can be? I wrote in the post above that the research agenda should include the need for a strong scientific, philosophical and historical foundation. I gave Stephen Downes as an example of a researcher with this type of foundation. And when I say education researchers lack discipline, I mean that they use terms without being aware of their meaning. Downes has complained of this lack of discipline as well. I pick up the Canadian Education Associations magazine and am frustrated each and every issue by the sloppy use of terms. Writers who've clearly never read a single word of Derrida's throw around "deconstruction" like it can mean whatever they want it to.

I am proposing a research project that involves the internet and education, but have decided to do the work in a School of Communication. I have a B.A.(English) and an B.Ed. but need to upgrade my foundation to enter the M.A. program. SInce we're trading sayings "I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me." So yes, I think educational research needs more discipline, it needs a stronger scientific, philosophical and historical foundation. I think it's slide 41 of Terry's presentation which says "Education Research we don't get no respect."

A friend of mine is a school principal and he is just beside himself that I've decided to go into research. He almost spits the word, like John Candy in the old SCTV skit. Has anyone done a survey of what teachers and principals think of the letters PhD? The schools I've been in, it isn't too highly. You know the lines, "they've been in the classroom two or three years, couldn't handle it, and now they're trying to tell me how to do my job."

Education research needs to be stronger to stand up to this antipathy. I am a friend of this agenda, and as any reader of Nietzsche can tell you, a good friend is your worst enemy.
In reply to George Siemens

by terumi miyazoe -
Hi,

I would be happy if I could share views with people who have experiences of being cross-border international learners like myself if possible, not only with those who are providing or observing.
Terumi
In reply to terumi miyazoe

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Hi Terumi,

I wear many hats. I am a Canadian pursuing a doctorate at an American university online, but living in the Middle East. I have been fortunate to have excellent instructors at the University of Phoenix although the learning environment is not very sophisticated. I am interested in e-learning and effective instruction. I have been reflecting on my teaching for over 30 years. I would like to be involved in researching and developing teacher best practices.

Do you think we should start a separate discussion forum for the international participants?
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by terumi miyazoe -
Hi Nellie,
I am not sure if a separate discussion is necessary but I really hope to meet more people who study at a distance by e-learning over the national boundaries as the second presentation was about internationalism of e-learning. And I believe Dr Graninne Conole said learners' needs would come the first criterion for this if I understand it correctly.
Terumi

by Paul Stacey -
Terumi/Nellie:

I did a 100% online graduate degree Adult Learning and Global Change that involves a partnership of four universities around the world. Students enrolled in the program from all over the world through the four universities and went through the program as a cohort. Teaching of the courses that made up the program rotated from university to university. Not only did you learn with others from around the world but you were exposed to international pedagogical approaches from four very different parts of the world. It was an amazing experience and I look forward to more e-learning initiatives that use an internationalized curriculum, international students, and international teachers as a starting point.

Paul
In reply to Paul Stacey

by terumi miyazoe -
Hi Paul,

My memory is vague but didn't I meet you online once at the occasion of Moodle Moot Canada last year...? Sorry if I am wrong...It sounds like the program you were in similar to the one offered by UBC...I had an experience of attending a program that is similar to what you described in the UK from Tokyo: all the students were basically international accessing from many different parts of the world...Now in another program offered in Canada, the majority are Canadian students...Global vs local focused...

Terumi

by Paul Stacey -
Terumi:

Yep, I think you're right. I moderated a great number of the Moodle Moot Canada presentations in Edmonton last year and expect we met online then.
Great to see you participating here too and continuing to pursue your academic interests.

Paul
In reply to Paul Stacey

by terumi miyazoe -
Paul:

If possible, could you invite some of your classmates who were international students like my case from the program you were in here so that I could exchange ideas and views...I could potentially invite only one American at present whose first language is Spanish living in the US and taking courses in Canada...

Terumi