International student participation in E-learning Institutes

Re: International student participation in E-learning Institutes

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Number of replies: 0
Hi Minhaaj,
I think that the online courses in many fields are still developing, although they are more advanced in distance education and in some more traditional areas. In one of the fields I am interested in developing -- dance/movement therapy online -- it is going to take time. Over the past six years, one of the things I do is teach to dance/movement therapy to international students who come to Calgary,Canada for intensive four week trainings in accredited courses that they can use to apply to the American Dance Therapy Association. I have discussed with several of them about having several of their courses online and that that would take time, but that it is possible. The American Dance Therapy Association is interested in this -- but so far have only promoted a few continuing education online. I also have assisted students working on projects and thesis work while in their own homeland or elsewhere through the advantages of technology. This was only possible for me to do as I learned more about e-learning and my confidence grew. I suspect it will be the case with others. I imagine the pathway for e-learning can be a mix of informal and formal trainings and courses for many students and then perhaps, over time it becomes more formal. How will we deal with numbers if we don't have the mix? There are so many Canadian and international students that want to learn.
Jo Ann