Adoption/Diffusion

Adoption/Diffusion

by Vivian Forssman -
Number of replies: 18

Building on Valerie Irvine's post,

On the notion of topics - I'm actually somewhat interested in e-learning acceptance/adoption. I know we have a lot of studies that examine the question of learning or how learners learn or communities of learners interact, but when I'm often pulled into senior management meetings where the question on the table is "why is our uptake so low?" - I'm curious about the determinants.

I imagine many of us are also at this point in the journey, with lots of great examples in our institutions of the "No Significant Difference Phenomenon" http://www.nosignificantdifference.org/.  In fact,we are enthusiasts who would like to propose that with the advent and adoption of social software, we are beyond justifying e-learning and are instead at forefront of creating connected learning communities. That said, and quoting Paul Stacey,  

A vast volume of e-learning research is being done around the world. What we need is not necessarily more research, the global e-learning research pipe is already gushing out results. What is needed is an analysis and sifting through of the findings with an eye to converting them into practice.

So I propose one of our research/practice topics be focused on policy and cultural issues of adoption/diffusion of technology-enabled learning (distance, online and blended models) in educational institutions (both K-12 and higher ed).

This would give us focus to understand better how to move what has transpired in technology and pedagogy in the past decade into improved  understanding and tactics regarding organizational change which is now necessary if we are to move our experiments of the past 10-15 years into wide-scale acceptance. We now need to scaffold what we know works in e-learning from

• the learner engagement perspective, and
  • e-infrastructure elements 

into solid arguments for informing institutional strategy.

This will involve policy, economic and access models since all this great stuff about learners "co-constructing knowledge" is often overlooked in senior administrative circles.

So let's just call this the "Adoption/Diffusion" thread and see what we might do vis-a-vis research in this arena.

In reply to Vivian Forssman

Re: Adoption/Diffusion

by Mark Nichols -
Hi Vivian,

I did some work on this last year (see http://tinyurl.com/5ve9mn). There is actually a great deal of work that has been done in the area of diffusion in e-learning; what we lack is a series actually bringing it all together. Distance Education was well served by the Kogan Page and Routledge series of books which could be cited with confidence. These books drew together the abundant research available into reputable and authoritative touchstones. Now, at the risk of sounding old-fashioned, perhaps this is what e-learning needs if it is to progress beyond a multiple and highly fractured literature.

This fragmentation, it seems, is across the board when it comes to e-learning related topics. How about an international series, centrally edited by a reputable band of e-learning scholars, with contributors from across the globe - drawing on experts who synthesize the best of literature? I know that this could never be comprehensive, but it could at least be authoritative.

In Boyer's (1990) terms, we have abundant literature that is discovery, application and teaching based... where are the touchstone works synthesizing literature? I am aware of many individual candidates, but none to my mind fits within a shared, general framework or paradigm.

I would like to propose that such a series be considered by us all. What would be the merits of such an idea? What would be the risks? Moving on from this, what might the various topics for synthesis be? I suggest that institutional development would be a good one.
In reply to Mark Nichols

by Vivian Forssman -

Mark,

Good to find "birds of a feather" across the vast expanse of the Pacific.

In the abstract for your paper, Institutional perspectives: The challenges of e-learning diffusion, you write  "in some institutions e-learning was an accepted part of everyday activity, while in others it struggled to gain traction".

This reminds me to make sure we have a baseline definition of what we mean when we reference "institutional perspectives."

At my institution, we have 900 courses in WebCT. Each year we add about 150 courses to this library through a gargantuan curriculum development/redevelopment effort.  At first glance, some might think this  e-learning activity is indeed part of everyday activity!

However, many of these courses are little more than shells; often instructors ignore their online content and forget to even activate the course for students at term start-up and only weeks into the course when the chorus of frustration rises, does this happen; some instructors use these sites as content repositories but do not facilitate any interaction through discussion threads or online activities. This exists because at my institution, top down directive and funding incentives get stuff online, but doesn't adequately support the ongoing stewardship and faculty development required for successful integration into the life of the institution, and the life of the learner.

So what constitutes "e-learning as accepted part of everyday activity" from your research/practice perspective?

by Mark Nichols -
Hi Vivian,

You ask: "what constitutes 'e-learning as accepted part of everyday activity' from your research/practice perspective?"

This from the paper:

...the goal of sustainable embedding is central to e-learning diffusion in higher education institutions. There was evidence from respondents that some institutions had actually achieved sustainable embedding of e-learning, defined here as an e-learning implementation characterised by activity that is proactive (it permits forward-thinking and further planning to take place), scalable (e-learning can be rapidly deployed across new programmes or else new approaches can be readily adopted), and self-perpetuating (in that e-learning has become an established part of operations).

Your institution may well be characterised by such things, even though you observe that...

many of these courses are little more than shells; often instructors ignore their online content and forget to even activate the course for students at term start-up and only weeks into the course when the chorus of frustration rises, does this happen; some instructors use these sites as content repositories but do not facilitate any interaction through discussion threads or online activities

...which actually begs the question: Is what you describe an issue with how diffusion is defined, or a problem with how e-learning is defined?

Hence my call for that authoritative book series thoughtful. I define e-learning as "pedagogy empowered by technology" (see monograph; I tend to add the word 'digital' in between 'by' and 'technology' now). According to this definition, then the WebCT content repositories are evidence of e-learning, even though the 'power' in 'empowerment' in that case is a bit wet-noodlish!

I would argue in your case that since faculty tend to forget to even activate their WebCT course area, there is still a lot of diffusion work to do (in that the system you have does not seem to be self-perpetuating).

Mark.
In reply to Mark Nichols

by Vivian Forssman -

Mark,

Thanks for the tasty "food for thought". I like your "E-learning in Context Primer" - it integrates alot of the contemporary research (undertaken by some of the folks involved with this online SCOPE conference) in an easy-to-swallow manner - something I could share within my institutional community that would not cause too much "scholarly discourse indigestion" ;-).

I also appreciate your thought-provoking comment on definition of e-learning versus definition of diffusion. Within diffusion are many stages of a maturity model, and it is tempting to want to fast-track to the utopian constructivism world that George Siemens conceptualizes or the de-institutionalized institutions that Stephen Downes envisages. Alas, most of us are in the very early stages of diffusion, often in old-fashioned worlds of top-down management cultures, just past the stage of experimenting and documenting action research made interesting through the energies and creativity of our early adopter communities. Now the work of engaging with the wider community is required, with its operationalizing of innovation, if that is in fact possible.

You are correct  - with 900 courses in WebCT, my institution does indeed have adoption of e-learning, but both the devil and the delight is in the details of diffusion.

by Valerie Lopes -
Vivian

You have echoed my thoughts exactly - at Seneca College our "adoption" statistics show that we have 1,906 courses "activated" in Blackboard, but the reality is that our diffusion is at the very very early stages of a mturity model. I would love to explore what the operationalizing of innovation would "look" life from a practical, realistic, perspective....

In reply to Valerie Lopes

by Mark Nichols -
Hello Vivian,

The best book I have read on strategic change is that by John Kotter, Leading change. Rogers' Diffusion of innovations is wonderfully descriptive, but Kotter's work gives a clear strategic model for implementation.

Mark.
In reply to Mark Nichols

by Vivian Forssman -

Mark,

I too have Rogers on my bookshelf for frequent referencing, and will look at Kotter (after all he is granddaddy of this kind of stuff in business schools. B-school oriented organizational design theory has numerous change management theoretical frameworks.)

I note that Valerie Irvine has a project on diffusion at University of Victoria (great to meet you briefly at CNIE poster session Valerie ;-) and she writes in the Best Methodology? Thread...

I know the diffusion of innovation literature, but I'm looking for something that can be testable and used in larger institutional settings, such as the UTAUT model (Venkatesh). I know the lit of similar theories have been tested hundreds of times so as to establish a deepened understanding of these determinants so areas of intervention can be identified.

For those interested in adoption/diffusion, what other theoretical frameworks and research methods might we consider? Mark Bullen has written about the diffusion research/evaluation of the BCIT TEK project, which I believe uses Rogers as the theoretical framework, but what research methodology? Valerie, maybe you could link us to some of the work you are doing with UTAUT.

by Mark Bullen -
Mark, Vivian:

Our diffusion research methodology at BCIT has been pretty simple so far: surveys and interviews with faculty around their perceptions of factors that affect adoption and diffusion. Rogers diffusion of innovations framework has been used primarily to guide the research.

As an aside, one of the challenges we encountered in doing this fairly basic research was getting access to instructor e-mail addresses so that we could contact them. Even though we had ethics approval to conduct the research nobody at BCIT was willing to provide this information.

Mark B.(the other one)
In reply to Mark Nichols

by Raymond Guy -

Bonjour Mark!

Your definitions fit well with the preliminary findings of a research we (Kathleen Matheos, Bonnie Luterbach and myself) have led for the Canadian Association for Distance Education, now Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE) on the determinants for institutional readiness for e-learning.  We presented these findings at the CNIE conference last month.  The slides can be viewed here.

Although when interviewing upper administration (Presidents and Vice-presidents) of post-secondary institutions, they attribute a high level of importance to the planning and vision, teaching and learning with technology, supporting learners and faculty and infrastructure.  When verified in a more in-depth questionnaire on the actual implementations of these determinants, we see that the infrastructure components are well in place (student portals, LMS, administrative applications) but that the strategic planning and leadership falls short of a passing marks with teaching and learning and dedicated resources (faculty support, centres for teaching and learning/elearning) not far behind.  Is this an indicator that once the hardware is in place, there is a broad assumption that the institutional culture for e-learning will diffuse and/or adopt? 

There are barriers that remain.  We need to continue supporting the cultural change necessary for effective diffusion and adoption.  Some of the points raised by Stephen Downes in an another thread seems to indicate that much of the work done in the past in Canada was infrastructure oriented.  Is this a weakness we have that once we have the tools we assume we will effectively use them?  That the early adopters will take on the responsibility for diffusion? 

Institutional culture needs more than just the tools for change.  Your document presents many of the key barriers that must be overcome.

My thoughts for now.

Raymond

In reply to Raymond Guy

by Mark Nichols -
Bonjour Raymond! Ca va? smile

"Is this an indicator that once the hardware is in place, there is a broad assumption that the institutional culture for e-learning will diffuse and/or adopt?" Yes, I think so... the sort of diffusion we have in mind is somewhat more paradigmatic than that most institutional leadership has in mind. Most work in New Zealand has been infrastructurally oriented. Let's not underestimate the significance of this, as it provides a great platform to build on.

Adoption is where we get a little murky in terms of discussion. What is an effective e-learning implementation? How would we measure 'success' in diffusion? As I mentioned earlier, this is dependent on a definition of e-learning. IMHO, early adopters are not the best candidates for responsibility of diffusion as they tend to be the radicals and also tend not to do anything that is scalable. Far better I think to have some institutional conversations that consider organisational mission and a comprehensive proposal for how e-learning can be leveraged to contribute to it.

Let's also consider what e-learning has already contributed to most tertiary institutions: email, availability of journal databases, course Web sites, LMS/VLE use. These may not be the latest and greatest or even represent a remote part of the overall potential, but it is still significant and suggests greater things are yet to come.

Best,

Mark.

by David Porter -
I like this approach, Vivian - adoption/diffusion.

In the K-12 sector in our province, it has *not* been the research in e-learning that has moved the adoption process ahead, but a disruptive force in the educational funding model - funding online learning at the same level as face to face through legislative action.

At a senior level, the decision has been made that e-learning is a valid instructional process. Next will come the diffusion challenges of support, quality assurance, and more engaging models of practice.

Clearly a test-bed for adoption/diffusion research is in front of us in this instance, and would be an exciting follow-up on the ready-fire-aim approach that has spurred the adoption process.

d.

In reply to David Porter

by Vivian Forssman -

David,

Interesting thought here, that we need to get beyond institutional culture, and it is in fact wider national/provincial policies and legislation that are the motivators for organizational and cultural change, at least in public education.

So here is another potential influencer of change: this week my management team and I met with my institution's "pandemic planning consultants" and we were challenged to think through the how and what of planning for Centre for Instructional Technology & Development should a social and health threat such as avian flu become a reality. We quickly came to the conclusion that if all courses were in the LMS, even at a very rudimentary level, then faculty could continue to easily communicate with students, and at the very least, faculty needed to know how to accept and respond to assignments through a web interface and repository. So we decided that use of the online drop box should be a higher priority in our faculty development and training agenda. No constructivism

So if we can't hope or plan for legislative action that is driven by normalizing the financial juggling of FTE counts in K-12 education, we might settle for a pandemic that makes the idea of virtual learning more of an imperative ;-) 

by Vivian Forssman -

Bill Fricker writes,

"...unless some of the key stakeholders (1) recent major research initiatives (per Stephen Downes' post), (2) likely players (AUCC, ACCC, CMEC, etc) and (3) various federal and provincial educational government offices, (4) perhaps there are more, have yet to post, we may be missing a key foundational element - {we need} the strength of the broadest possible participant base. 

So how do we connect with this community. My VP Academic is active in the Alberta Senior Educational Officers (SEO) community and I imagine agenda items and points-of-discussion bubble up from the membership. For example, last fall they were all doing mini-surveys of each other in Alberta about who's doing what vis-a-vis adoption of Blackboard versus Moodle (some called it Noodle), but with no real critical enquiry about what lies beneath the surface of this debate. I think the discussion was spurred due to financial implications, concern about the investment in eCampus Alberta as a single system shared service model, and risk management (perception of some Senior Officers is like the old IBM paradigm - "if it's a big company then I'll be safe" way-of-thinking).

But talking about an LMS platform, as we all know is the thinnest element of e-learning adoption/diffusion. I have been drawing conceptual model pictures to illustrate how the LMS is about 10% of the issues and opportunity, but don't have the appropriate audience with whom to share these ideas (great to share with the already-converted in this community, but as Bill says, how do we get the attention of all those other players?

Perhaps this Pan-Canadian forum needs to agree on some key talking points prior to formulating a proposed research agenda, and then we need to invite senior leadership participation at the conferences and through the publications targeted at this community, so that they are with us from the beginning. 

by Deborah Goudreau -
I completey agree with Vivian suggestion to investigate how to build learning communities online as well as using blended approach. Given that I work for the government, I would very much like to have adult learners (and unionized) included as target audience.

by Mark Bullen -
Vivian:

I'm glad you raised the issues of diffusion. As you may recall, this is the focus of our research agenda at BCIT and we have taken some modest steps towards trying to understand what factors help the diffusion process. A Royal Roads Masters student I have been working with has just completed a study of the factors that affected the diffusion of the learning technologies supported by our Technology-Enabled Knowledge (TEK) Initiative. )Stay tuned for more on this.)

I agree with the comments about the need to define both e-learning and diffusion. Diffusion, for example, happens at both an individual and an institutional level. People tend to talk about diffusion as an individual process...how many faculty have adopted WebCT etc. One of the reasons the "embedding" isn't happening is that the the diffusion process at the individual and the institutional level are not in sync and we often overlook the importance of institutional support for diffusion. It isn't enough to provide money and tools. Institutional processes and culture has to change.

The meaning of the term e-learning adds another level of confusion that may cause us to overlook relevant research. In fact, I'm starting to think the term gets in the way of our efforts since people either don't know what it means or have such different understandings that is hard to engage people in our institutions.

Mark.

by Vivian Forssman -

Thought I should share an emergent diffusion approach that I am involved with at SAIT Polytechnic. 

SAIT has a well-developed Strategic Plan, that names Curriculum Excellence, Teaching Excellence and E-Learning as key elements of academic goals. This Strat Plan was developed through a broad participatory process circa 2005 - 06. But there are a total of 26 strategic goals (some of them are related to enrolment processes, etc.). So the institution had to settle on 5 strategic goals for the first few years because it didn't have capacity to tackle everything at once. Curriculum Excellence and Teachng Excellence made the cut, but E-learning was back-burnered. By back-burnered I mean it is considered important but no significant resources other than what is already in operation are attached to this goal at this time.

I was given the job of "operationalizing" Curriculum Excellence. This has been a very interesting journey - what is curriculum? how do we measure excellence? who all is involved? etc. We developed a curriculum philosophy, a framework, a measurement rubric and are in the process of implementing various improved curriculum development processes and methods. But how can we talk about Curriculum Excellence in a vacuum, and not consider technology? (or teaching excellence?). After all, my department is responsible for re-developing upwards of 200 courses per year, most of which are earmarked for blended delivery through Blackboard (currently WebCT 4.1; evolving to Vista). In addition we have the mandate for faculty development, of which a significant element is "effective application of learning technologies". 

So we are quietly building "integration of technology", aka e-learning, into Curriculum Excellence. In the Learning Design phase of our ADDIE-like model, we expect a teaching and learning plan that maps to the program learning outcomes and in most cases identifies learning activities that are technology-mediated.  Our goal is really learner engagement, and if technology-mediated approaches can help, then we build it into curriculum and course design. The challenge is that major technology infrastructure requirements for e-learning cannot be directed from the course design phase, but we are anticipating this, and working with the IT department and others on upgrading the LMS, putting web 2.0 tools in place, and playing with podcasting and other tools. 

At first, I was a bit annoyed with this idea of e-learning as a stealth strategy - I had just come from BCIT, where I had been part of the original team who architected an e-learning strategy and built a very public profile of ambitions, expectations and projects under the program TEK (Technology-Enabled Knowledge). Here I was at a different polytechnic and I was supposed to hide e-learning under a Curriculum Excellence approach.

But maybe this isn't such a bad idea vis-a-vis diffusion. After all, we know who all is "afraid of e-learning". Maybe they are not so afraid of Curriculum Excellence that happens to include technology-mediated learning. If we design technology-mediated learning into curriculum from the get-go, then we are no longer "selling" e-learning, maybe we are just doing it. 

It is too soon to tell if this approach moves the institution, the pedagogical approaches, the teaching approaches, the learning outcomes, the learner engagement and success, and e-learning along the evolutionary vector. But maybe e-learning, like e-business, like e-commerce is an early 2000 concept, and we are better off with a diffusion approach that drops the "e" word. 

E-learning or learning strategies

by Mark Bullen -
Vivian:

If you can build the e-learning into the curriculum excellence initiative, then I then I think that is actually a better way to go than trying to develop a separate e-learning strategy. That was my original plan here at BCIT but it quickly became apparent that there were two problems with that:

1) getting buy in for a e-learning strategy was proving to be impossible;
2) it didn't make sense to have an e-learning strategy when there was no overall learning and teaching strategy for the institution.

So, now we are focusing on encouraging each school to develop a learning and teaching plan that will then inform an institutional learning and teaching plan. If these plans are done properly, they should incorporate e-learning, where it is appropriate.

Mark.
In reply to Mark Bullen

Re: E-learning or learning strategies

by Randy Garrison -
That was basically the approach we used at the U of Calgary several years ago.
We assembled a University wide committee and wrote an Institutional Learning Plan. At the core of this was inquiry based learning. However, we made it clear in the document that we could not achieve this goal without the adoption of CIT and that blended learning was the desired redesign approach.
R