Blogs

Blogs

by Heather Ross -
Number of replies: 8

Now this is just a suggestion, but how about adding a directory of blogs by SCoPE members?

Heather

In reply to Heather Ross

Re: Blogs

by Sylvia Currie -
What an excellent idea, Heather! Now I need your help :-)

Where do you think a directory like that belongs on the site? Here's are some possible formats:
  1. I could set up an area for members to add blogs using a Moodle tool called "glossary" -- there's an example in the community library which I started for podcasts. The advantage would be that anyone could contribute.
  2. We could use the forum tool, but with settings to "no replies". That way we would end up with a flat file listing of all blog links. The drawback would be that this method would completely rely on members to post their own.
  3. I could maintain a static page and add the blogs I know about and can find. (Or start the SCoPE blog I've been meaning to do, and include the info there)
Thanks again for the suggestion!

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Heather Ross -

First, you should get on starting that blog.

I like the "glossary" idea. Members could post their blogs as well as a very brief description. I'm leaning towards this as my choice for the way to go with this.

In reply to Heather Ross

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for the nudge, Heather. The SCoPE Blog just got bumped up on the priorty list. :-)

The "glossary" idea makes sense to me to. It's nice to have a description, and it's also good to be able to go back and edit.

I created a SCoPE Members' Blogs glossary on the SCoPE main page. Have a look and let me know what you think!

by Heather Ross -
Looks great, Sylvia.

I've started us off with an entry.

Can't wait to see the SCoPE blog join the club.

by Kate Britt -

Hi Sylvia,

This is a great idea. I was going to add my blog, but I didn't understand what would go in the "Concept" blank. (My guess is that's the title?)

Also, would it be a good idea to add an "Education" or "Online Education" category?

Thanks!
Kate

In reply to Kate Britt

by Sylvia Currie -
Hi Kate,
Yes, concept is the title. Thanks for pointing that out! I just added a note about that in the main description.

I also added the 2 categories you mentioned: Education and Online Education. But now I'm wondering how much sense it makes to have any categories. Does it make it too complicated? It's kind of confusing if you want to go back and edit. I put a test in there using 3 categories, then edited one of them to confirm that changes would show up in all entries.

Am I even making sense? It's getting close to my bedtime! :-)

by Kate Britt -

Of course you were making sense, Sylvia. :)

You're probably right about  having no categories. Everybody who comes here is within a similar field of interest, so perhaps this is enough of a categorization already?

by Kate Britt -

Another suggestion, Sylvia. Is it possible in the add-blog form to have a blank in which to enter the URL of a blog, such that the title then becomes a link?

Kate