Best Metholdogy??

Re: Best Metholdogy??

by Kelly Edmonds -
Number of replies: 0

Thanks Terry and Glen for adding multiple perspectives and emerging theories to this discussion. I sense you are both on the right track in acknowledging multiplicity, and looking at how to work with this. I wonder if Chaos Theory or something along that line would help?

In thinking a bit more on what direction e-learning research could take I found myself wondering why so much research focuses on improvement. I just finished teaching a graduate class on student assessment. The literature is seeped with notions of betterment, improving and strenghtening. That is, teaching, leading and motivating students to do better and better and better. This is a very indiviudualistic attitude that can be seen in the North American society. Purposes of improvement are also seen in research, and the goals for study by others.

Looking at the dynamic nature of the web, produsers, etc. I don't get the sense this evolution and explosion of web uses is about improvement and betterment. I get more connecting, sharing and thinking. Whereas, improvement connotates competition. I think elearning research should explore the experiences of participants, and uncovering their real needs might be more useful.

I think it might be time to let the Enlightenment period rest.

Kelly