Components of a PanCanadian Research Agenda

Components of a PanCanadian Research Agenda

by Terry Anderson -
Number of replies: 7
Thanks for all the discussion and texts at the First Elluminate session.

I wanted to start some new threads on various components of a research agenda, and will do so. But I missed other issues in the text window and would welcome additional threads on items that perked your interest - or that you are not sure about.

Start a new thread by Clicking on the begin a new discussion thread button.
In reply to Terry Anderson

Re: Components of a PanCanadian Research Agenda

by Caroline Park -
Component one is the broad desired outcome or the purpose of such a strategy.

Caroline

by Raymond Guy -

I would add Culture on two levels.

Pedagogical/Institutional level- for the effective and sustainable adoption within and between institutions.

Linguistic/Cultural level- for access and adaptation of resources to create a critical mass of accessible, usable and adaptable resources for all (ie. French-English; Urban-rural).

Raymond

by Debra Hoven -
I would add to Raymond's Culture component, also the intercultural aspects of pegagogical design & learning process as we increasingly interact with and teach learners in and from other countries and cultures (wherever we may be located).

Another component which needs to be examined, as I brought up in the text box during your session, Terry, is the issue of "predictive" evidence-based research: i.e. what trends and directions can we collectively detect or imagine from what we are seeing and finding now. I think this is the critical difference between only applying for funding for research projects that confirm/ disconfirm the status quo & current practice, or funders' agendas, and research that helps us think forward. Particularly as social software, virtual worlds & mobile communications advance and morph, it often seems to be the "fringe areas" or the "potential for sharpness" of the cutting edge technologies where we find new solutions to some of our pedagogical problems.
-Debra-
In reply to Debra Hoven

by guadalupe vadillo -

In addition to Debra's comment, I think we would all profit from a prospective study that does not only consider trends, but different scenarios that could evolve in the future. Maybe it would be interesting to conduct a Delfos prospective study where we could volunteer to answer a brief questionnaire. We would analyze and classify answers and then have a second round of questions derived from the first analysis. With all of the info we would then create future scenarios.

Greetings from Mexcio City!

Guadalupe

In reply to guadalupe vadillo

by Debra Hoven -
Excellent point, Guadalupe!
We did this in my parent field of Computer Assisted Language Learning at our international research conference a few years ago ... with very good response & outcomes. As a result, several of us were able to mount some cross-boundary research projects & find links where we hadn't realized there could be prior to that.
I can provide (I think, if I can dig it up) the basic questions that were asked ... but pretty predictable/standard really.

In reply to Debra Hoven

by guadalupe vadillo -

Thank you, Debra. I'd be very interested in those questions. But, in case you aren't able to find them, maybe we could come up with something interesting. I believe that some researchers from Mexico and the US I know would also like to participate. Maybe other collegues in this conference may join this idea?

Best, guadalupe

Organization of PanCanadian Research Agenda

by Terry Anderson -
A number of participants have noted the need for a bit of direction to our discussion and though I have enjoyed our far reaching discussion to date, I do think we need to start thinking about an organizational scheme that can frame this evolving agenda. Maybe the big picture will all us to comfortably fill in the details.

I’m no artist, but I created the attached illustration of a prosumer type model of a research agenda where the agenda itself is a network of e-learning researchers and practitioners – sort of focuses as much on the process as the product.

You will see four critical areas connected in a network, each one of which spans and connects many specific groups. The 4 areas are a documentation area where results, vision for the network, celebrations etc take place. The second is the research question and theory area, where we investigate, appraise and synthesize current ideas and directions. The third is the projects area where different groups tackle projects, develop and share methodologies, tools etc. Finally the administration area is where the network itself focuses on funding and relates to the various research teams, schools, institutes, private companies etc. This network and associated groups, of course, operate within the collective learning and activity of the wider Net, extending to other disciplines and other countries.

The diagram is rough and likely there are other areas missing, but it has the advantages of:
  • Allowing us to focus in our document construction on an ongoing network versus a static document
  • Allows focus on each of the four areas that has most interest to participants
  • Reflects the way that we actually operate in real life
  • Allows and supports development of new groups of researchers to spin off the generalized framework of the network agenda
  • Gives us a structure for a final report

Disadvantages are that:
  • It may seem too ‘spacey’ to attract support and funding
  • The network structure may not be tight enough to maintain a coherent set of actions
  • It may seem more like a social support system than a means to galvanize collaborative efforts and effective dissemination.

The question then becomes how is this network administrated, funded, governed etc? Is it like (and thus a competitor to CNIE or Canada Council for Learning)? Will it provide enough of an organization framework to support a large increase in e-learning research? How is it different than say CIDER, which has not been able to attract critical mass of producers/contributors.

Your thoughts about the value or the details of this model most welcomed.
Terry

Attachment ishot-15.jpg