Is a baseline needed

Is a baseline needed

by Rory McGreal -
Number of replies: 10
Would a brief description of the type of research and/or other elearning initiatives being undertaken across Canada be helpful in establishing a base line for a pan-Canadian (provinces don't like to use the word "national") research agenda. I would like to ask participants to give a short description of their research and/or actions in elearning. This would be helpful. International participants are also invited to do so as whatever initiative or initiatives that arise will be strengthened with international partners.
All the best
Rory McGreal
Athabasca University
In reply to Rory McGreal

Re: Is a baseline needed

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Rory,
I think it's important that the organizers of the pan-Canadian research team decide whether they wish international researchers to participate. I may be a Canadian, but my teaching experience has been in Israeli high schools. To top it all, I am currently pursuing a doctorate in an American institution (University of Phoenix online). I consider myself very international at this time.
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Terry Anderson -
Hi Nellie
I think we welcome participation by anyone, but the focus of the conference is on the Canadian scene, so I assume that comments would be relevant to that context, or a useful example from an international context that throws insight unto the Canadian scene.
Terry
In reply to Terry Anderson

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Hi Terry,

I am interested in the Canadian scene as I am planning to return once I complete my doctoral degree. Although I have many research interests, my studies focus on curriculum and instruction and professional development. I am currently researching blended learning and instructor use of technology in higher education. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can about e-learning and the Canadian scene.
In reply to Rory McGreal

by Elizabeth Murphy -

Rory wrote:

"I would like to ask participants to give a short description of their research and/or actions in elearning"

I am presently doing a SSHRC-funded (extension of a standard research grant) study of e-teachers across Canada (using an Activity Theory lens). I'm PI on a project funded by SSHRC and the Department of Canadian Heritage looking at use of synchronous tools to strengthen students' second-language communication skills (using a theoretical framework of negotiation of meaning).  I'm co-investigator on a SSHRC-funded Community University Research Alliance on e-learning (year 2 of a 5-year project). My focus for the CURA is on learner-centered e-teaching. I'm working with APA's learner-centered principles and applying them to contexts of e-learning.

In reply to Rory McGreal

by Deleted user -
Personally, I've been researching virtual schooling for much of this decade. Most of my work has been exploratory, as virtual schooling is relatively new (circa 1995) and there is still little research published on the topic - in Canada or the United States (which is entirely understandable given the newness of it all).

Based upon my own background, my focus has been on rural K-12 students learning in virtual school environments - because for many of them the only way they can access this curriculum is in an online format. The problem that I've seen is that much of the design of virtual schooling opportunities is targeted to courses that are primarily attractive to students who do quite well in school. So my interest has been exploring how this can be done in to open up the population of students that are served.

Others? As I see we have two researchers interested in virtual schooling addressing this item thus far...

MKB
In reply to Rory McGreal

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Hi Rory and others,
This is an exciting time for pan-Canadian e-learning efforts. Introducing my self -- I'm a Registered Psychologist in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in private practice, and I specialize in dance/movement therapy (ADTR) and art therapy (RCAT), as well as health psychology, cognitive/behavioural psychology, and trauma therapies. As well, I teach through contracts. Presently I am contracted to teach for Campus Alberta Applied Psychology, with the University of Lethbridge. I'm continuing to study distance education and technology through Athabasca University's Graduate Diploma in Distance Education and Technology (GDDET).

Your post indicated that you are wondering what research or actions we have been taking. I fit the category of "actions", although I have done other kinds of research in the past, not related to DE.

First of all I believe that education and training are very helpful for instructors who want to promote online learning and I have taken the action of further studying. I do some traditional teaching, but see so many advantages to expanding access through DE online.

Secondly, recently an action I have taking includes adding both Skype and Marratech (Webconferencing) to the Health Psychology Course that I am presently teaching. I would not likely have done this action without my DE education.

Observations to date: The response from students about adding the technology that specifically facilitate varied communication at a distance has been welcomed by the students. I hope to do some data collection in my present course, asking students and a basic list of suggestions in this pilot use of the first two technology additions. The students who are presently learning Health Psychology are familiar with online forums. I hope to add more technology slowly as I teach various sections. I think the technology must be tailored to facilitate the learning and the students' need to know technology when they are working in their fields of interest. Jo Ann

In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Peter Ball -

Hi Jo Ann,

nice to "see you" again!

Given your situation and comment about data collection, I am wondering whether this is the forum for considering a dramatic increase in action research.  I suspect there are many more who would be willing to be e-learning action researchers than there are pure researchers.

thoughts?

Peter

In reply to Peter Ball

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Hi Peter,
Great to read your postings and hear your perspectives.

I am just at an edge of a vision -- seeing how important taking "action" can be at Pan Canadian and international e-learning platforms within various applied health fields. For example, I can see how some mobile phones/laptops/LMS could assist with mediated health applications in many countries. Health psychology, "health and arts in medicine", and Health training over e-learning platforms will assist communication.

I'm using e-learning broadly and in an inclusive way to mean distance education, enhanced learning possibilities through technology, and systems that interface interdisciplinary functional and educational organizations.

I'm curious that students I am teaching or meeting at conferences, are very interesting in the potentials of increasing connections and knowings through organized e-learning -- distance education, online conferences (such as this one) and continuing education courses. Even in Dance/Movement therapy people have just started to see the potential and relevance.

I hope the opportunities to network about e-learning continue to expand in a purposeful way -- as I see in this conference. Actions that have many people giving feedback quickly, can help with corrective factors that could assist change. Empirical studies from the field(s) could stimulate relevant and more immediate information about implications of actions. Through e-learning -- speed can increase. Web 2.0 assists networking with people of similar interests and opens to critical responses from those who might disagree. Research that can be taken from applied actions and assist change and possibly allow for fields to develop that have been held back. E-learning has great potential

Jo Ann

In reply to Rory McGreal

BCIT e-learning research

by Mark Bullen -
Here at BCIT we are engaged in several small scale applied/action research type projects that are investigating:
1) our learners and their technological readiness, use of technology and ways of communicating

2) how new technologies are diffusing and what factors affect this

3) how the institution should respond to the emergence of Web 2.0 technologies and what the role is for institutionally-supported technologies

This research is entirely self-funded. As well, we are working collaboratively with graduate students from Athabasca , Royal Roads and Concordia to allow them to use BCIT as a site for data collection. The data is then used for their graduate research and our institutional research.

Mark.
In reply to Rory McGreal

by Steve Mackenzie -
Hi Rory and Others

"Short description of their research and/or actions in elearning"

For formal learning, my interest is in the use of online synchronous group learning as i believe it is the best way forward to motivate distance learners and to offer much variety in enabling learners to learn from each other. This online work should be supported with inter class tasks using web 2.0 to develop technological and personal communication skills and add to the learning. The online synchronous class is the focus that keeps learners on track.

I have had very good feedback from the eight lecturers at my University who recently participated in this type of course and from around twenty postgraduate students.

Apart from researching this approach to learning, the other vital area is personal and professional development of staff and students in the use of new technology. Both courses that i ran were centered on the theme of using web 2.0 to help teaching and/ or learning.

A line from one of George's youtube videos has had a strong impact on me "content is a conduit to conversation". A lot of good content is out there but more can be achieved with the social interaction side of e-learning.