Chapter 3 Open Invitation!

Chapter 3 Open Invitation!

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 8
Hello everyone,
I'm a Mayor for chapter 3 in the Communal Book Project. I'm really exciting about the topic, as well as the process of writing a book together. I have some experience designing online courses, and my education background is in the right field. But I'm by no means an expert! And this is a pretty fat chapter! wide eyes I will be relying on YOU to help make this work.

There are many ways to contribute. You could take on a subsection, review drafts, provide feedback, introduce new subsections, offer resources, help with research... well, you get the idea. There are many ways to contribute.

If you're interested in participating, post a note and we'll be on our way.

Sylvia Currie
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Chapter 3 Open Invitation!

by Sandra McKenzie -
Hi Sylvia, I'm happy to offer my services as an editor, if anyone wants a second, very critical, pair of eyes overseeing their contribution before it goes out to the public. Feel free to contact me offline.
In reply to Sandra McKenzie

by Sylvia Currie -
This is just terrific, Sandra! As I understand it you are also developing a Style Guide for the entire Collaborative Online Book Project. A much needed piece!

Thanks for offering your expertise here. :-)

by Vivian Neal -
Sylvia,

This chapter sounds fun and practical. I'd be happy to help out with authoring. How are you thinking it will be organized?

Vivian
In reply to Vivian Neal

by Sylvia Currie -
Vivian, thank you thank you thank you. approve

I think this writing project will be as much about feeling our way through a process as it will about the content of the book! I'm excited about both aspects. I'm currently enroled in the Full Circle Facilitating Online Interaction Workshop and I'm using this Collaborative Online Book Project as the focus of my project work. I'm getting some excellent guidance and feedback on the selection of tools to support collaborative writing.

For this book, writers are distributed all over the place. While the core communication about the book project and listserv is with the BCcampus eLearning Marketplace and Expo Online Community most of the writing happens elsewhere.

So where am I heading with all of this background? Not sure yet! I like the idea of posting full versions of the chapter drafts, then allowing a period of time for comments and feedback. This would be incorporated into a new version draft, and so on. There are some neat (and free) tools to support that process. Plus there are some ways to accomplish this just using Moodle.

The basic structure is that each section is assigned a "Mayor" who is responsible for the final draft to be incorporated into the chapter. The chapter draft is then submitted to the Book Project Mayors, Sandy Hirtz and David Harper. They're looking at an August deadline.

Do you see particular sections that grab your attention? Another role is to be co-Mayor of the chapter. I'd love that!

by June Kaminski -
Hi Sylvia,

I am also excited about this book collaboration and am open to writing any/all of the areas in this chapter that aren't already 'spoken for' by Vivian or yourself.

What a great idea!

June

June Kaminski, RN MSN

In reply to June Kaminski

by Sylvia Currie -
June, this is such great news! And thank you so much for being so flexible. I see my role as chapter mayor will be more organizational (which is good!) among all of these talented online course designers offering to take on chapter sections. We'll see how everything lines up here. I'll start a new thread on section topics.

Background for others here, June and I met through our online course design work for Nicola Valley Institute of Technology. In addition to designing wonderful courses, she is an incredible artist -- check her portfolio at http://visionsofadonai.com

I'm so glad you joined our chapter group! approve

Chapter 4 book mayors update

by Sylvia Currie -
I received a note from Vivian Neal that she will need to withdraw from the book project sad. She just has too many things on the go and says she's sorry to miss out on all the fun.

So now we are 4. Liz, you said the first section "designing your course" seems like the best fit for you. June, you indicated that you are willing to work on all of the other sections in the chapter. Sandra, you offered to be our editor (yay!). I will keep us all organized, and help with writing all sections. How does that sound?

I'm also contributing to the chapter on communites of practice.

I've been keeping this SCoPE area up-to-date to match the book outline posted by Sandy Hirtz in the Expo community. If you see any other areas where you'd like to contribute I can help make the connections with the mayors.

Liz, have you joined the BC eLearning Markeplace and Expo Community? Sandy is asking everyone to post a photo and bio there.

I'll post more about a schedule and milestones in a separate message.
Sylvia

Re: Chapter 4 book mayors update

by June Kaminski -
This is fine with me Sylvia.

I am grateful to know what I will be working on - I'd like to get started! smile

Thanks,
June