Join the live online session on Social Media - Benefits for Researchers on 8 May

Join the live online session on Social Media - Benefits for Researchers on 8 May

by Inge Ignatia de Waard -
Number of replies: 4
Dear participants,

Let’s get together and exchange ideas live! In order to get an idea of the social media that is used in research, I have set up a session through WiZiQ.

After an intro of about 20 minutes in which I will give a short overview of the big outlines on social media and how it is linked to research, the floor will be completely opened to discuss possible thoughts and questions you might have. These questions can be the basis of discussion threads during this seminar.

Practical:
The session is planned for Thursday 8 May
12 PM Halifax, Nova Scotia time = ADT;
8 AM Vancouver, British Columbia time = PDT;
5 PM Brussels, Belgium time = CEST;
If you are not sure of your time zone, you can look it up at the World Clock.

You can access the online session here.

On WiZiQ
WiZiQ is a free tool and allows interactivity, but the free version is less interactive then Elluminate (which is not free). You can talk, use slides, chat and see each other (which we will do).

To participate in this session, you need to register or sign up for WiZiQ.
Once you are registered you can access all the sessions for free, BUT you need to be signed in to be able to open the sessions!

Technical tips:
  • it is a good idea to surf to the WiZiQ link a couple of minutes before the session actually starts. This allows you to test your audio/video devices.
  • Please keep in mind that you need a headset with microphone if you are planning to talk during the session. This enhances the audio quality, open speakers give the microphones a hard time.
  • a small side remark: if you have been using audio/video software during the day (f.e. for camtasia or captivate) and you want to link to WiZiQ, sometimes the settings are intertwined and do not function correctly. In that case you will have to log out and log in again.
I am really looking forward to our 10 days of exchanging ideas and notions!
see you all soon
In reply to Inge Ignatia de Waard

Re: followup to online session - spreadsheet comparing Social Media

by David Millar -
Attached is the spreadsheet. You may want to add another column for the question about interaction, why some accept & others reject.
In reply to David Millar

by E.A. Draffan -
Here is the collection I am putting together - we are calling the site Webel (Web 2.0 for e-learning) and trying to work out a way of evaluating the technologies for ease of access. I have not really started work on it all, as I am still trying to make a satisfactory matrix that allows me to check keyboard access, screen reading, text to speech, user preferences, system options etc for both input/uploading and also downloading and enjoying the content developed by others. Any ideas would be so welcome! Thank you for the on-line session. Best wishes E.A.
In reply to E.A. Draffan

Thank you David and E.A.

I am going to give this a thread of its own, because there is definitely a demand for it.
In reply to Inge Ignatia de Waard

Re: Join the live online session on Social Media - Benefits for Researchers on 8 May

Thank you all for attending the online session and for your patience (a new security box was installed at the institute during the morning of the presentation preventing streaming so the session started 18 minutes later).

There were a lot of good questions raised (a great group) and I will start taking the questions out of the presentation and getting them onto the forum later during the day.

For those who could not follow the session, you can watch the recording on this location (you need to be registered to WiZiQ and be logged in to be able to view the recording) and the presentation starts from 'slide 15', but you can see some good human interaction and problem solving in the previous slides (thank you all).