Learner Centered Pedagogy

Learner Centered Pedagogy

by sandeep dixit -
Number of replies: 1

The teaching is normally interpreted to mean teaching a 'Class of Students'.What is this Class? Is it not true that each individual is a Class?

The most important contribution of E-Learning is the ability to transform from teacher Centered to Learner Centered mode of pedagogy.ICT mediation in e-Learning ought to address the individual needs of the learners.The learmer is not a Class but an individual and has to tracked individually for the best ourcomes in ensuring learning.While the distance learning is effective in enhancing the reach, the group effect characteristic of a Class must not be done away with and thus attending Class has to coexist with the ICT enabled pedagogy.The essence of e-learning lies in tapping the vast potential of Computing(including AI) to let the individuals learn at their own pace while at the same time conducting the class as if teaching a group of learners.The effect created by e-Learning is like several classes going on within the confines of a single physical class-The analog of a multiprocessing OS running on a single processor.Thus normally the group learns together but at certain times or slots(the frequency and duration of slots to be decided based on learner tracking)the individuals get treated and pulled up to keep pace with the class.IT thus lets the curricula be jiggled and tailored to the individual at certain defined slots by tracking his or her 'learning patterns'. The progress in learning of the class as a whole is thus decided by each individual and not the brighter ones only.

In reply to sandeep dixit

Re: Learner Centered Pedagogy

by Jason Barr -
Good day Sandeep,

I know there has not been a reply on this forum topic from your original post of the 22nd, and the recent post by Terry on Methodologies might resurface these thoughts you pose. Learner Centered Pedagogy (or Androgagy in our case with the Canadian Forces/Military in our Training and Education system) is close to our current work initiatives and lessons learned. This has been one of our biggest challenges over the last number of years moving the CF to the integration of Distributed Learning (which we include e-Learning) and being able to have our senior instructional staff change their fundamental approach, as you indicated, addressing the needs of the "Class" to the individual learner. One of the things that we have found helpful is not focusing on the delivery means at first in the ISD process, thus focusing-in on the learner target population, learner assessment, then instructional strategy, instructional methods and learning/training activities. By doing this, it helps the instructional team, consider the learner first, sound instruction second, and then the integration of technology when required based on the delivery means of instruction. In my professional occupation within the military, Training Development Officer, I am seen as a technology person, but in fact those that know me it is a big stretch, however, because the focus of our work as a team in effectively applying technology within the CF, we have through lessons learned realized that the technology is the last component for the learners, and thus, I have had an opportunity to better enhance my knowledge, skills and attitudes towards each phase of ISD, which we call CFITES or Canadian Forces Individual Training and Education System and in turn we build better learning events for our learners.

Anyways, thanks so much for posting this message, in the end as a Pan-Canadian group, if we research many different facets of e-Learning without considering the learners, much of this research may not be practical in its application, helping the learners achieve their educational or training goals.

Cheers,
jason