Collaborative tools and peers.

Collaborative tools and peers.

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Number of replies: 0
I wasn't quite sure what to call this wave - "other lecturers" is probably too
  • British
  • Ignoring those of us who have non-teaching type roles etc.,

"Colleagues" could have caused you to think about those in the same workplace, rather than other workplaces etc; so peer seemed the best term!

From my own point of view, I like to use things I'm contemplating using with students to see if they have the potential to be a good tool in terms of learning (though, to be honest, I can't think, off hand, of a tool I've found useful with other staff that I couldn't see a way of using with students).

I've used various tools with peers - clearly I'm using wave now for sharing ideas, and I see that Sylvia has started a wave (  SCoPE -- Google Wave: Advice and Guidelines for Educators ) where we'll hopefully be collaboratively creating a guide.

I've also used Google Docs for developing proposals for conferences etc., (though at times we have found the time it took us to get it into the right template for conference X a bit time consuming; fine if they just want text!)

I'm not convinced that I've used other tools really "collaboratively" with my peers - though may have used some tools that have the potential to be used collaboratively, but have really just used them to share ideas / create artefacts.

(Also posting this to Wave, for those who prefer that platform) BritishIgnoring those of us who have non-teaching type roles etc., "Colleagues" could have caused you to think about those in the same workplace, rather than other workplaces etc; so peer seemed the best term! From my own point of view, I like to use things I'm contemplating using with students to see if they have the potential to be a good tool in terms of learning (though, to be honest, I can't think, off hand, of a tool I've found useful with other staff that I couldn't see a way of using with students).I've used various tools with peers - clearly I'm using wave now for sharing ideas, and I see that Sylvia has started a wave ( SCoPE -- Google Wave: Advice and Guidelines for Educators ) where we'll hopefully be collaboratively creating a guide. I've also used Google Docs for developing proposals for conferences etc., (though at times we have found the time it took us to get it into the right template for conference X a bit time consuming; fine if they just want text!) I'm not convinced that I've used other tools really "collaboratively" with my peers - though may have used some tools that have the potential to be used collaboratively, but have really just used them to share ideas / create artefacts. (Also posting this to Moodle, for those who prefer that platform) " data-wave-annotations="776,834,link%2Fwave,googlewave.com!w%2BgF6sSP2DG:" class="__wave_paste">