Low Tech teaching

Low Tech teaching

by Dominic Bergeron -
Number of replies: 5
00a.jpg
As we hear of "new" technology uses in the classrooms, many of us (instructors) need to remember that a PowerPoint slide is just about the same as a transparent. We need to remind ourselves that "new" technologies and their use do NOT improve teaching abilities. In other words, teaching tools do not replace the teacher. They are tools. Interactive tools can enhance the learning experience if they are designed to do so. Once in a while, it is important to go back to the basics and use a blackboard. I strongly believe Educational Technologies can change the learning experience, and make it better if, and only if, there is a thought process behind it. Thoughtfully planned exercises and appropriate student evaluations will make sure Educational Technology has a real impact on the learning process.
In reply to Dominic Bergeron

Re: Low Tech teaching

by Nalin Abeysekera -

yes Dominic, Educational Technology has a real impact on the learning process. But sometimes specially in face to face sessions some people try to use PowerPoint, multimedia not as points but as way of surviving. they try to depend on that.. if is a lecture on management you need technology. but you have to understand the limitations .Some times students wants some feel of human in discussion...it is a responsibility of a teacher to demarcate the necessity of tools i guess.

In reply to Dominic Bergeron

by Cynthia Alvarado -
How true. Being a good teacher has to do with thinking and understanding the learning process, the needs of students and the material to be presented. Adding technology will not make a bad teacher into a good one. In the hands of a skilled teacher, however, technology, properly used can help make the learning process more interactive and understandable. The key to the process is the teacher's skill, not the technology itself. By the way Dominic, I love the picture.
In reply to Cynthia Alvarado

by Gina Bennett -
You may have already seen this latest bit of news from Campus Technology about how 'hybrid' (i.e. f2f supplemented with instructional technology were found to be more effective than the traditional f2f lecture alone. In case you don't have time to read the article, here's the punchline:

"Students who attended the hybrid course received final grades that were 10% higher than those who attended the traditional class, which translated to a full letter grade increase.

"Presumably, this increase is due to the fact that students were able to increase their exposure to course content via access to material on WebCT," McFarlin writes in his report"

The 'course content' referred to by McFarlin seems to have been primarily PowerPoint presentations that students could re-visit, with some online quizzes too.

A full letter grade increase is a pretty substantial gain for what sounds like a relatively 'low tech' approach!
In reply to Gina Bennett

by Judy Southwell -

Interesting article, Gina. Thanks. Flexibility to learn when time permits and being able to self-assess seem to be of key interest to learners. 

We've recently produced some online resources using Camtasia and have been pleased with the results.  Your post reminded me that we also have Articulate Presenter.  However, it looks like this isn't packaged with Articulate Quizmaker and with its 21 question types, as opposed to Camtasia's 3, it might be an application we could use.  If you or anyone else is using Articulate's Quizmaker, it would be great to hear how you're using it and what you like about it. 

Cheers,

Judy

In reply to Judy Southwell

by Gina Bennett -
Judy, I am delighted to see another ETUG member in this discussion! Thanks for joining us.

I have never used Articulate Presenter or Articulate Quizmaker (in fact, today is the first time I've ever heard of it). I wonder if there's anyone else out there using this product? Pros, cons?