ORAL DISCOURSE

ORAL DISCOURSE

by June Kaminski -
Number of replies: 6
We know that Oral Discourse has always been a critical method of knowledge transmission in First Nations learning.

How can this be facilitated in the online environment?
In reply to June Kaminski

Re: ORAL DISCOURSE

by Monica Macaulay -

In one of our online courses the instructor has a conference call each week with his students.  They discuss the week's activities and he provides explanations on topics that students consider confusing.  It is a course in business law so having that place to "hash out ideas" is very helpful given the course is very heavy. 

Using the phone is quick and easy and students have an opportunity to hear "real" voices.  I think it has worked well in this context and is something to keep in mind as an option.

I get the impression that the students feel re-connected and refreshed after each Thursday session.

Thank-you,

Monica

by Richard Smith -
As you've mentioned in another thread, text is dominant in tools such as moodle. Images are coming along, with photo books and so on, and video is making an appearance with plug-ins that simulate the YouTube experience.

I think it is important to remember that YouTube is not just about posting videos but a lot of those videos are *responses* to other videos. In this way it is dialogic and conversational. Still it doesn't quite capture the quaternity (is that the word?) that you have described elsewhere.

Another approach is the one found in voicethread. If you haven't seen it, check out http://voicethread.com. There the initial object sits in the middle (which could be something started by the teacher or a student) but then it gets surrounded by comments, which can take the form of audio, video, or text.

It might be a useful tool, or if not a tool to use perhaps a model for other tools.

...r
In reply to Richard Smith

VoiceThread

by Sylvia Currie -
Richard, thanks for mentioning VoiceThread. We have one set up in SCoPE, but your suggestion gave me the idea to create one for our project. I embedded the VoiceThread in this Moodle forum. Once we create our First Nations Pedagogy for Online Learning project site I can move it there.

So everyone, please introduce yourself using audio, text, or video. Post your thoughts on this seminar topic, ask your burning questions...

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: VoiceThread

by June Kaminski -
Thank You so much for sharing this!

VoiceThread is an amazing tool that offers all sorts of educational capabilities!

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
I always find this concept interesting because in my 30 some years of teaching aboriginal adults, I didn't find them particularly auditory or interested in discussion. When tested with VARK, they were most likely to be kinesthetic or visual than auditory. When examined closely, so called oral traditions are full of visual and physical information. Given I taught primarily Cree, Dene and Anishinabe and there may be cultural diversity issues between regions, I still think we need to be careful about confusing discourse with oral in the way that Western culture experiences auditory experiences.
In reply to Deirdre Bonnycastle

by June Kaminski -
Thank You for sharing your observations, Deirdre!

Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences theory seems to address this best, imho - he also includes Naturalistic intelligence which incorporates nature and ways of knowing related to the planet; Musical Intelligence, Inter and Intra personal intelligence, and so on...all seem very applicable when considering First Nations pedagogy.