SL-moderators?

Re: SL-moderators?

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Number of replies: 4
Cristina said:

In that sense, and the way I see it, the moderator will have a crucial role in phase 1 – Access and Motivation. Some “holding-hands” might have to be done to get everyone on board. A lot of experimental activities which can tie in well with the social activities, in order to get them going and keep up the motivation. I use to say the “Dynamization”of the space is an investment which will bear fruits in the end. It is necessary to keep the “troops” motivated and provide them with the know-how, and confidence, to succeed.

In SL, I perceive these 2 stages will take longer than in other online spaces. There is a lot more of groundwork to be done in SL than in blogs or wikis, for instance

I'd definitely agree with this. I think that it's several fold. As well as the technical issues getting it installed, ensuring that it works on the PC, sufficient bandwidth being available, there are other issues. For example, perhaps more so than discussion boards, it's very easy for some students to wander off and explore - and gain a lot of extra expertise. Whereas when you start to use discussion boards with students, if they want to "practise" with one that, say, covers a personal interest, they have to know how to search for & find one. With SL, you can just go wandering off. Of course, they run the risk of finding just about anything, so it's a double edged sword, but provides the opportunity to develop movement, object interaction, communication etc., skills.
A good orientation is essential - we've been looking at NMC's orientation Island ( http://slurl.com/secondlife/NMC%20Orientation/69/107/32/ ) due to the educational aspects of it - and you have a greater chance of running into other educators while you're doing it.
Later on, Gilly suggests "Using SL resources e.g. ppt presentations" I think that I'd tend to look at getting potential moderators to look beyond the "traditional", and to be really innovative. Granted, Powerpoint can be used really innovatively (or pretty direly) in a face to face classroom; lets try to encourage just the really innovative uses to be moved into SL :)
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

wandering off

by Gilly Salmon -

Like the web in the early days?

This where design comes in...?

Gilly

In reply to Gilly Salmon

Re: wandering off

by Emma Duke-Williams -

Like the web in the early days?

Not quite ... I guess it's still possible to "wander off" on the web now!

This where design comes in...?

I wonder if we're talking at cross purposes ... I was thinking that it's very easy in SL to enter a search term, to teleport off there, and not really know where you are, but to gain experience of the range of users, of the different types of environment etc. When it comes to designing your own area, clearly you can make your island really innovative, so that students don't want to go exploring, but we can't (and I don't think any one would want to!) stop them going off.

I guess one of the points that I was trying to make was that it's very easy, for students who are interested, to get carried away with exploring the environment - and learning from it, perhaps in a way that a flat discussion board never could.
(Of course, you then may have to spend some time getting all the students back to "home" if they've not figured out the landmarking system!)

resources like ppt

by Gilly Salmon -
Point taken Emma but often we need to give comfort- at Leicester we have a lot of lecture wallahs who may need to start off this way. MOOSE is a research project and a demonstrator though I've always an eye on scaling up from the start. However I agree- for the MOOSE project we are planning to design SL-tivities (based on www.e-tivities.com)  which have a 'spark' to start a dialogue- these parks can take many forms. Gilly

stages 1 & 2

by Gilly Salmon -
so you're saying these stages will take longer- probably longer than they do now with forums and stuff but not longer than when I started in 1988 with dial up cmc (cue violins)lol Gilly