Thank you! And putting it all into practice

Thank you! And putting it all into practice

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 2
On behalf of all SCoPE members and others reading along in this seminar I want to thank Dan for bringing our attention to the many things that we need to consider about intellectual property and copyright.

I make special mention of the reading along group because this discussion has sparked conversations among instructors at my workplace. Dan warned us in his introductory post that there are no easy answers -- that "every case is truly unique, with many differing yet valid answers". Was he ever right! tongueout What seems like a logical flow from our print-based/in-class days to digital media definitely interferes with our judgment. But raising awareness is certainly a step in the right direction!

So as we bring closure to this seminar we're left wondering how to put this into practice, and where to go to check our understandings and share dilemmas as they come up in practice. It strikes me that answers we come up with in isolation may need to be challenged (Believe me, I'm speaking for myself here!). Would a Special Interest Group in SCoPE (here in Moodle, or NING, or ...) be useful as a place to go for peer advice and up-to-date resources on copyright trends and developments?

Thanks everyone, for your participation, and a BIG thanks to the British Columbia Educational Users Group (ETUG) for collaboration on this seminar. ETUG is actively planning an April seminar on "Rethinking Teaching in the Sciences" facilitated by Gina Bennett. More details will be available soon!

We also have a number of events/seminar topics falling into place in the next while. Check the SCoPE calendar upcoming events.

Sylvia Currie
SCoPE Community Coordinator

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Thank you! And putting it all into practice

by Marsha West -
Sylvia asks, "Would a Special Interest Group in SCoPE (here in Moodle, or NING, or ...) be useful as a place to go for peer advice and up-to-date resources on copyright trends and developments?"

My answer, YES! It would be a GREAT IDEA!

PLEASE DO IT, SYLVIA!

~~marsha west
In reply to Marsha West

Re: Thank you! And putting it all into practice

by Alice Macpherson -
I would second this thought - and I would prefer it in SCoPE at this time.
Alice Macpherson (aka Alys Obviate in SL)
I had to lurk on this one as I am deep into the prep for an upcoming conference.