Tagging - Advantage or Disadvantage?

Tagging - Advantage or Disadvantage?

by Ian MacLeod -
Number of replies: 4
Thanks again to Jason for an amazing session today and to Paul and Sandy for moderating - sorry for leaving early, duty called - I can't wait to see how it all turned out :-). For those of you who couldn't make the presentation, it is recorded and there will be a link on the SCoPE site.

This question may have gotten answered today, but if you have any thoughts on it, I would love to see them:

As educators - what do you see as the biggest advantage of tagging, the biggest disadvantage, and are there any issues with tagging that we need to think about?
In reply to Ian MacLeod

Re: Tagging - Advantage or Disadvantage?

by Tia Carr Williams -

I am sorry I couldnt make the actual webinar today, due to Thanksgiving commitments, but I look forward to the recording and will ask questions once I ve heard that.

In reply to Tia Carr Williams

Re: Tagging - Follow up from today's session

by Sylvia Currie -
The recording is here if you missed today's live session with Jason Toal.

Alvaro Galvis has kindly provided a Spanish translation of his notes from the session. approve Links to all the tools mentioned are included. Very helpful!

There were some really good questions posed in the text chat, so I've uploaded the transcript in case anyone wants to revisit that to pull out the gems.

And so you don't have to go digging, here is Jason's Tags, Tagging, and Tagclouds wiki.

Great session!

In reply to Tia Carr Williams

by Emma Duke-Williams -
No, I couldn't make it either, due to other commitments. I'll look forward to replaying it.
In reply to Ian MacLeod

by Cynthia Alvarado -
I clearly missed a very interesting seminar. Thank heavens for saved material.
I think the biggest down side to tagging is that because it doesn't have controlled vocabulary, it doesn't always help you to find what you are looking for. I sometimes have to look back at my own stuff to see how I've tagged it, so that similar items have the same tag.
On the other hand, tags let you see how other people organize or at least catagorize information. It sometimes gives a new creative insight on known resources and information.