Week 1 Overview
Week 1: Overview
Optional Reading and Viewing
The following optional readings and videos are provided as references for the topics discussed in this week's Overview.
- Cougler Blom, Beth, Online Facilitation - Tips and Strategies (PDF)
- RRU - CTET. (2008, Fall). Facilitating Online Learning (PDF) Tools for Teaching (T4T) Tipsheet, 1(2), 1-2. Note: Still a useful guide for online facilitators!
- Vaughan, Norman et al (2013) Chapter 3: FACILITATION, Teaching in Blended Learning Environments: Creating and Sustaining Communities of Inquiry, AU Press, pp.45-62.
- White, Nancy, Full Circle Associates, (updated article Mar 15, 2015) An Overview of Online Facilitation
- Roberts, Tracy, RRU - CTET. (1/1/2010). Assessing Online Participation (PDF)
- Excerpts from 2008 Online Facilitation Strategies video - (6 min, Youtube)
0:11 - "How do you help students interact effectively in an online course?"
1:20 - "How do you sustain online discussions?"
1:45 - How do you keep a presence in online discussions without taking over the conversations?"
And just for fun....
- (3:08 YouTube video)
Note: Calling all Elvis fans....(funny because it's true?)
- Richardson, Jennifer C et al. (2015) Conceptualizing and investigating instructor presence in online learning environments. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, [S.l.], v. 16, n. 3, Jun. 2015. ISSN 1492-3831. Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/2123/3349
- Thormann, Joan, Fidalgo, Patricia (2014) Guidelines for Online Course Moderation and Community Building from a.Student's Perspective. MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, Vol. 10, No. 3, September 2014, Retrieved from http://jolt.merlot.org/vol10no3/Thorman_0914.pdf
Note: Review the Abstract and the final sections - Discussion and Implications (pp383-385).
Community of Inquiry Model
- Garrison, D. R., Anderson, T., & Archer, W. (2000). Critical inquiry in a text-based environment: Computer conferencing in higher educationmodel. The Internet and Higher Education, 2(2-3), 87-105
- Interactive CoI Model - https://coi.athabascau.ca/coi-model/an-interactive-coi-model/ Note: includes definitions and embedded videos explaining elements of each presence
- Effective Feedback - http://ctet.royalroads.ca/effective-feedback - Centre for Teaching & Educational Technologies, Royal Roads University