Live Session: Digital Tattoo Project

Live Session: Digital Tattoo Project

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 4
Just a reminder that we have a web conference scheduled this week to talk about the Digital Tattoo project. Trish and Cindy will facilitating the session, and Bonnie Johnston has volunteered to moderate. (Thanks Bonnie!)

The Digital Tattoo Project’s goal is to help students become aware of their rights and responsibilities as creators and consumers of digital information in their personal, academic and professional lives.

Where: Elluminate: http://tinyurl.com/9m668l
When: December 11, 2009, 11:00 a.m. PST. Check your time zone
First time in Elluminate? The support centre will help you to get started.

Invite your colleagues!
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Live Session: Digital Tattoo Project

by David Brear -
Sylvia, will the live session be tomorrow ? Thanks :)
In reply to David Brear

Re: Live Session: Digital Tattoo Project

by Sylvia Currie -
David, thanks for posting that question! I'm not sure what happened there. It looks like my last post was the first draft! Anyway, I edited my post, and here's the very important bits about when and where:

Where: Elluminate: http://tinyurl.com/9m668l
When: December 11, 2009, 11:00 a.m. PST. Check your time zone

Hope to see you all there!

Recordings from Live Session: Digital Tattoo Project

by Sylvia Currie -
Hi everyone,
If you missed our live session on Friday, or wish to revisit here are the links:

Elluminate recording
Standalone (.jar 24 MB)

We had 14 participants and lots of good dialogue. I'll post the transcript from the text chat in a separate message.

Chat Transcript from Live Session: Digital Tattoo Project

by Sylvia Currie -
Dec 11, 2009 Digital Tattoo Project
Moderator: Bonnie Johnstone
Facilitators: Cindy Underhill and Trish Rosseel

Note: I did some minor editing. We had an issue part way through the session where comments were posted only to moderators, and then there was a discussion about why this was happening. I made the relevant posts visible and removed posts about the issue. This transcript doesn't include conversations that took place before 11:00 a.m. PST. Sylvia.

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): Hi Terry, welcome to the session

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: Hi Terry. I hear it's a wee bit cold in Athabasca

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Hi Terry, good to see you here.

---------------------
Terry Anderson: Yes, it is freezing.... Hi Jo Ann!

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): sorry Trish - added an extra slide to give wider context

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): forgot to mention

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): Hi Peter, welcome to the session, we've just got started

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: Trish, if there's a URL you can post in the text chat we could see it that way (if not, no worries!)

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Problematic scenario URLs:

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): http://www.straight.com/node/215116

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/10/01/bc-borderguards.html

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/06/02/bc-templeton-student-facebook-hit-list-charges.html

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Thanks Trish

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: This is Me project: http://thisisme.reading.ac.uk/

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: Feel free to grab the mic as well (click on the hand icon to grab our attention)

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): When you took it to the kids, was it news to them that they had a public/private face? The ones who shared everything, were they aware of consequences?

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: I'm planning a similar session for teaching assistants and tutor markers professional development day in January. I plan to share your digital tattoo site with them because I think it's very effective

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: However, we also plan to talk about the use of teaching tools and research such as WebCT, RefWorks, Zotero, etc. Did you do any explorations in this area?

---------------------
nancy macdonald: Downes and connectivists would argue to be aware of the presence you provide but to actively connect within networks to learn.

---------------------
Terry Anderson: Thanks

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Yes, Trish, that's right

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Our session is intended to raise awareness among grad students both for undergrads and for their own practice

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: thanks

---------------------
nancy macdonald: AUPs but the battle is raging between full access for learning and the lack of awareness of privacy considerations

---------------------
glen: I teach a class in basic ICT Literacy for professinal teachers. I always encourage to use the web anonymously until they have the skill to control their public profile.

---------------------
Braddo: I use MITs http://personas.media.mit.edu/ to show students/staff how they are viewd byt the web

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: If conference proceedings are published -- does a person have rights about that is posted -- since lots seems to go out -- including pictures -- that are not cleared. Is that something to caution about - or is it just the norm?

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): hi Braddo - we used the MIT piece to kick off discussion last week.

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Braddo, personas is a really neat tool. Shows a lot of what is there, but also waht is missing

---------------------
nancy macdonald: Yes, great and helpful project. Need to educator teachers about the issues as well. Too much blocking because the education piece isn't strong enough , yet.

---------------------
glen: I also recommend that once they have ICT Literacy skills there is an obligation for them to contribute to various dialogs as public intellectuals.

---------------------
Braddo: EXactly--it shows students that they need to be proactive about their IDs

---------------------
Peter Rawsthorne: Hi Braddo good to see you here

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Yes I agree. Thanks

---------------------
glen: I'll try to repost my comment I recommend that once people particularly teachers have ICT Literacy skills there is an obligation for them to contribute to various dialogs as public intellectuals.

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Have any of you set up ground rules with students on the use of online tools in teaching? I was wondering if anyone had some good examples that provide information about privacy for the tools, encouraging respectful behaviour, perhaps allowing aliases to encourage open discussion, etc.

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Glen -- I think that it is wonderful that ICT Literacy skills are shared -- but I think is a matter of how people can do this -- and to what degree they have time.

---------------------
Braddo: I teach attitudes, rather than skills, to my gr. 6-9 students

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: I realize that ground rules for discussion are often used but I wonder if anyone has been specific about online discussion, whether realtime or asynchronous

---------------------
Grant Gregson: Are you currently working with the art or music department at UBC with regards to publishing and intellectual propery. Do you encourage them to use a Creative Commons license?

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: I think many people have to build their confidence about using Creative Commons license and Wiziq, etc. I would like more refined contributions to be available to all.

---------------------
Braddo: I recommend students keep NO private spaces online e.g. on FB, and to post only things that they would say in the middle of the general store.

---------------------
glen: There was an interesting comment on the Digital Tattoo questionaire regarding never posting something that you would not want your mother to read. I recommend that people never post anything that they would not want posted on the staff room bulletin board.

---------------------
glen: I agree that self-censorship can be the harshest

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: I like that Elgg systems for that -- and I like pockets of communication, but most things seem to be put online quite readily -- maybe that's the 50%.

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: I'm always surprised how many PDFs that I can find on the web marked "draft" or "confidential"

---------------------
Terry Anderson: Gotta run, thanks for this and good luck.

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: And, with the Wayback Machine, anything that used to be on the web is still there - the Internet never forgets!

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Great point, Sylvia! I found one of those just the other day and continue to be surprised by it.

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Hi Sylvia -- there are a lot of things I find that I did not know were there. And I'm pretty self-monitoring.

---------------------
nancy macdonald: Sorry. I have to run. Thanks for this. I do reference and recommend the Digitaltattoo site to NS teachers.

---------------------
glen: Thanks gotta run. I will be referring others to the Digital Tatto site. Great work!

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): Thanks Nancy

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Bye Nancy, Glen...

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Trish & Cindy, I look forward to hearing more about the faculty session that you have planned for February. Maybe I can catch you off line later

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Sounds good, Sylvia. Let's stay in touch.

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Thanks for all your work on this area. I like the comments from the group today.

---------------------
Tod Anderson SD: Thanks fo the great site. I'll be using some of it as I work with parents in our school district.

---------------------
Braddo: I think there are two parallel discussions: 1.) a person's epectations of privacy on the web; 2.) the nature of intellectual property

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Hi Braddo -- I think a third is -- "what we have control of or not -- even if we have intellectual property rights on something."

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: I agree about the developmental levels -- and we have to advocate for students and help them with some damage control.

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): and as we make mistakes as we grow, we hope that we will be forgiven for them

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Our friends will forgive -- but there are other people who may judge.

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: I agree that students moving from the personal to the professional online identity will be an interesting phenom in this context.

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: That's a good point, Bonnie. We need to decide that some of the bad stuff we see should just be forgiven!

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Thanks a lot, I have to go. It was a very worthwhile hour.

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): I agree - hope the judgemental part will evolve as we learn to see ourselves online (as others see us).

---------------------
Braddo: I don't thnk the issue is the how people use the web, whatever their developmental level. The issue is arises from a misunderstanding of what is private and public space. We can argue that the rules of social behaviour online are not yet written.

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: That's a good point, Braddo

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Thanks -- bye for now.

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Interesting point, Braddo...is there much private space...

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): Let's continue talking about this at http://scope.bccampus.ca/mod/forum/view.php?id=5031

---------------------
Braddo: I'm assitant head at a small independent school on Bowen. I'd be interested in talking to you further about how this plays out in K12

---------------------
Grant Gregson: Do you have any guest speakers that would be available to discuss the Digital Tattoo project and digital identity at a faculty workshop in February at Emily Carr University? Please contact me at ggregson@ecuad.ca

---------------------
Braddo: Can we follow up by email/Skype?

---------------------
Braddo: boc@go.islandpacific.org

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Re. positive comments, there was a paper in the V.Sun recentely on a new student to UBC that used Facebook to get 1000(?) people to attend her birthday party at Science World

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): sure - email cindy.underhill@ubc.ca

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: Thanks everyone!

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Thanks Cindy & Trish. and Bonnie. This was great.

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): Thanks everyone!

---------------------
Grant Gregson: Thanks everyone.

---------------------
Braddo: Thanks!

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: Great moderating, Bonnie :-)

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): Thanks everybody! see you next time!

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): yes, thanks Bonnie!

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): bye