Margaret Corbit - 3d Environments for K-12 - Science and Social Studies

Re: Margaret Corbit - 3d Environments for K-12 - Science and Social Studies

by Margaret Corbit -
Number of replies: 6

Thanks, Therese, for the introduction. I will be bringing folks into CTCUni, Cornell University's Active Worlds Universe. To join us you will have to install our customized browser. You will be downloading a 3MB browser for Windows computers from our Web site at:

http://www.scicentr.org/Participants/ITSupport/

This site is password protected, you will need a Login and Password that you will get from me. Because this is a K-12 environment, please include your full name and contact information and affiliation for our records in your email.

Please send me email at

corbitm@tc.cornell.edu

Before next Monday, you will only be able to test your connection. Your account will not work. I apologize for this, but again, we support a closed community of people primarily under the age of 18.  Your accounts will go live at 9 am EST on Monday, feel free to log in and test things.

(The Active Worlds Educational Universe (AWEDU) browser is available for free download at http://www.activeworlds.com/edu/awedu_download.asp. If you are not familiar with the software and would like to get your flippers wet, then I recommend you install this and explore on your own. VanGogh world is always fun. This browser will NOT give you access to the tour on Monday.)

Our tour will feature 4 kinds of worlds: a prototype game environment, a laboratory, exhibit worlds, and SciFair worlds built by teams of teens and teachers.

Active Worlds has a browser Web window built in. I will provide a Web page that will load when you enter Welcome world. It will have links that will teleport you to the worlds we will visit. If you get lost, go back to Welcome, select the link for the next world in the list.

See you Monday,

Margaret

In reply to Margaret Corbit

by Tia Carr Williams -
SCoPE: 3d Environments for K-12 - Science and Social Studies with Margaret Corbit
Monday, 16 April (08:00 AM)

Margaret Corbit has been involved with long running projects such as The VLearn3D Initiative which began in 1998 as part of the Contact Consortium to address the current trends and needs of educators who are developing, adopting and pioneering virtual environments for education.

Margaret and her team has set up a demonstration site set using Active Worlds and will take us exploring.

We will be embarking on our journey April 16th. Check back for details!

This session is organized as part of the Serious Games and Virtual Worlds seminar.

Just a quick reminder for Margaret's excursion into Active Worlds tomorrow for those who would like to participate.

Tia

In reply to Tia Carr Williams

by Therese Weel -
I'll be there with bells on.

Getting a tour of a virtual world is a real time saver.  Especially when your tour guide can provide some insight into what you are experiencing. 

I've downloaded the client and will be there bright and early. 
In reply to Therese Weel

by Corinne Brooks -
hi
i sent Margaret an email, but received no reply as yet

angua@industryplayer.com
In reply to Corinne Brooks

by Tia Carr Williams -

Could everyone who is attending today please post their emails into this thread so we can have a head count?

So far we have:

Corinne Brooks  -  angua@industryplayer.com

Therese Weel   -  therese@datadesigns.ca

Tia Carr Williams -  tia@tycoonsystems.com

by Sylvia Currie -
I'll have to pass on this one. I look forward to hearing all about it! If someone could report on the experience for the non-Windows folks in the crowd that would be great. :-)

by Salvor Gissurardottir -
I also intend to be there but I am having trouble right now logging in.
I can connect and log in as visitor but can not log in with th user name and password Margaret Corbit  sent me.

Salvor Gissurardottir  salvor@khi.is