Discussions started by Ian MacLeod

If any of you are interested in collaborating on a book chapter on social media in education, please check out thewiki at http://socialmediachapter.wikispaces.com/

Here is a brief introduction from the wiki:

"The book is a collaborative effort with nearly 100 contributors from predominantly post secondary locations all over the world. To date the book has 30 chapters and is still growing. It is being published by the Commonwealth of Learning. Publication date is set for July 13th to coincide with the Fifth Pan-Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning.

The book is a resource that offers practical, contemporary guidance to support e-Learning decision making, instructional choices, program and course planning and development. The working title is "Empowering Education for a Digital World: Advice, Guidelines and Effective Practice From Around the Globe"."

Come on out and contribute - a lot of what we are discussing in this seminar will make great material for the chapter (or chapters). Come on out and contribute!!
Thanks again to Jason for an amazing session today and to Paul and Sandy for moderating - sorry for leaving early, duty called - I can't wait to see how it all turned out :-). For those of you who couldn't make the presentation, it is recorded and there will be a link on the SCoPE site.

This question may have gotten answered today, but if you have any thoughts on it, I would love to see them:

As educators - what do you see as the biggest advantage of tagging, the biggest disadvantage, and are there any issues with tagging that we need to think about?
Hi everyone and greetings from CIT 2007 in Nashville Tennessee. I'm sorry I couldn't join you live yesterday, but we've had some poor connectivity issues here (and boy am I suffering :-)) . You don't realize how social the Web has come until you are away from it for a few days.

There are already a lot of amazing conversations happening here and I am really looking forward to seeing where the next three weeks take us.

Here are some of the things I would like to know and get all of you to help figure out:
  • Are we facing a fundamental a paradigm shift in how we will reach and help learners learn, and is that shift being driven by social media or something else?
  • What are some of the things we are doing well now that we can take with us into the brave new world of social media?
  • Who is driving social media in the education space? learners. educators, administrators...
I'm sure that there will be all sorts of other questions as we go along. One of the big themes here at CIT 2007 is the whole idea of open educational resources (check out OER Commons) and collaboration. In combination with social media this will definitely change the educational landscape.

Where do we go next...

( Hmm, intriguing questions Ian...I've split this post off to another thread. Edited by Therese Weel - original submission Wednesday, 14 November 2007, 06:44 AM)