Posts made by LaDonna Coy

Hi Richard, I have not taken the leap into epubs but have been wanting to for some time.  I have taken a few first steps, looking into them and hoping to learn how and to actually produce one this spring.  One thing I'm curious about is the images, multimedia and hyperlinks -- things that make the reading experience more interesting.   Looking forward to tapping into your wisdom and learning with and from your experience.

These are amazing resources, I'm still taking it all in but wanted to say thank you for sharing these. I am remembering my own school experience and wonder how my learning experience would have been different with books like these?  I'm a visual learner so these really appeal to me. 

Wow Julia - the Color Uncovered app book is really great - a sense of playful reading and its intriguing the way its laid out. What I think I like best is that I can learn in small bites, a little at a time. .Amazing.

I didn't mention my other favorite book since I wasn't sure it qualified as an ebook but it is similar to this one in that it is an app-book.  Amanda Havard has an intriguing app-book with some technology that is new (and she's patented).  The title is The Survivors and is a transformation of the original book into this app-book form. I met her dad in the Chicago airpoirt and he gave me a sneak peak on his ipad back in October - I knew I'd be buying it once it was released - I just had to see the technology in action. It isn't really my genre but the development is brilliant.

She's added watermark touch points. As you read the story you'll see a light watermark on the screen, when you touch it opens a small window with additional content, like a photo of the location; a song the character is listening to; the clothes she's wearing; author notes about the character; etc. If I remember right there's more than 300 touch points.  Her Dad told me that each of the book's characters would be tweeting but I haven't checked that out yet. :-)  She is stretching into several forms of custom developed multimedia and then embedding them in this new way - very interesting and adds to the reading experience. I've attached a screen shot from my iphone by way of example. (I couldn't figure out how to upload more than one?)

Attachment Watermark.PNG

Hi everyone.  So happy to meet this group and thank you Sylvia, once again you rock my world :-) This is the kind of course I've been looking for - a topic I want to learn and a great place to learn and contribute.

I read mostly from my Kindle and the book I've most enjoyed is Thomas Crum's, Three Deep Breaths. He tells a story to teach the concepts of breath and stress relief and since I've actually seen him present (online) I could hear his voice in my head teaching me and helping me practice the breaths.  A great read and wonderful practical application. I do wonder if part of what made it such a good experience, compared to other books, is the easy conversational writing style of the author? It just flowed.

The other thing I like is the Whispersynch for Kindle to iPhone so when I travel I don't really need to take the Kindle, I can read on my phone and when I turn the Kindle on the next time it lets me move to the furtherest point I've read on the other device. I've grown accustomed to the small screen and really don't mind it so much since I can set the type size and its back lit so I can read without having to have an extra light source.