Posts made by Barbara Dieu

Hello Diego, John and all,

I'm Barbara Dieu (or Bee as people call me online) from Sao Paulo, Brazil. I teach EFL at a bilingual secondary school and, on the side, I am very much involved in social media, communities and networking.I am a frequent lurker at Scope but now as I am on holidays, I have a little spare time to post.

I am particularly interested in the challenge a network of communities poses, as Diego mentioned during his talk, in terms of systems (management, publishing and collection/aggregation) and relational/computational perspective. I am also attentive to the differences in approach and management that Paul mentions: private/public, formal/informal.

Looking forward to the exchanges.

Some of you may be interested in discussing it further with others and presenting on your work at the OCWC 2009 : Content, Infrastructure and Creativity which will take place at the Campus Monterrey of the Tecnológico Monterrey, México between April 21-24, 2009. Deadline for papers in 10 days.

Although I am an independent educator in that I do not belong to or have the financial backing of any institution (public or private), I have presently joined the Brazilian OER list led by Carolina Rossini and will try to contribute with what I can in spreading the OER idea as I favour openess, flow of ideas, creativity and sustainable development in all areas.
"I would think to use the images for in-class presentations, handouts and anything that is digitally created on a very small scale & non-commercial educational internal use."

If we have fair use in small scale, in-class presentations why should we be discussing OER at all? Content and information abound, just a matter of filtering, adapting for you context and needs. It is difficult to teach exactly the same thing , the same way in different classes.

Are OER a way to make less expensive content to serve those who can add value or status to it to repurpose it more easily for mass production and sell it without guilt or legal annoyance? Is charity a cooler way of branding and marketing? Is it a way to exerce cultural control on those who use them (banking education?) Is it the latest trend for those who are after a grant? All reasons above, none of them, some of them, irrelevant, a win-win situation or not appropriate ?

There is an interesting survey (and comments) for non-commercial use at Creative Commons (oops, sorry survey closed on Dec 14th).
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/11045