Posts made by Barbara Dieu

How do you currently use video in your teaching, or how have you seen it used? You might wish to dicuss your objectives, contraints and priorities. 

Hello,

I teach English as a Foreign Language to teenagers (middle/high school) at the Franco-Brazilian school in São Paulo. I have used video in my classes in different ways (intensive and extensive viewing, individual and collective production)

Intensive Viewing (short snippets - maximum 4 minutes) as

• an ice-breaker leading to a theme I want to introduce or a basis for discussion on a theme  (The Meatrix for instance, for organic x processed food, Heroes - sts later work on their own hero story - see below
  • a trigger for questions to practise oral skills 
  • listening comprehension for at theme, vocabulary and grammar points I want to focus on (Creative Commons)
  •  (add them to Moodle for stds to check at home and save classroom time)
  • subtitling and translation exercises (use Universal SubtitlesDotsub or YouTube)

Extensive Viewing (films)

• to complement a book we have been reading (compare and contrast)
  • to analyse main themes and how they have been depicted (technique)
Recordings in class

Students used their own photo cameras, mobile phones or portable video recorders to make the film and Windows Movie Maker or i Movies to edit them. VoiceThread allows you to create an interactive production, uploading photos, film and sound. 

The editing (parents and kids complain) and evaluation of each production (the teacher complains) is somewhat time-consuming  but once the film is ready, all are very proud of it and forget how labout intensive this can be.

Hello there,

Formally, I've been an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teacher at a secondary Franco-Brazilian lycee in Sao Paulo for many years. Outside this framework and online as an independent educator, I've become increasingly interested and involved in the open movement in education. I am a (slow) contributor to Wikimedia projects (Commons and Wikipedia), Wikieducator, Merlot and a member of the incipient Brazilian OER community.

Looking forward to the discussions around OERu.

Following up on Ivan Herman, whose name I suggested in the Elluminate chat area a week ago. Here is the link to the slides "How does the Semantic WEB work?" he presented at a talk at the “Semantic Café” event in São Paulo, Brazil, organized by W3C Brazil Office on 15thOctober, 2010.

If you scroll down his page there are a number of other presentations he made on the Semantic Web.