Posts made by Jesai Jayhmes

Clearly if we didn't have deadlines that involved other people, nothing ever would get done.

I have just posted my video homework on youtube, short sweet to the point.

It isn't necessary to go into lengthy editting for this one unless you want to learn it. I did my recording with Mac's own photobooth. Once I had the lighting in place it was pretty seamless.

I just saw Sylvia's video... well done. I never knew so much about Scope.
Cool.

Jesai

Good day or night dear participants. Where ever you are joining us from the Earth, I hope this seminar proves useful to you in your mission to deliver valuable learning experiences for your students.

Our aim is to push the technology to connect our human presences with others.
In the classroom that is what we are used to. Think back on your own classroom experiences and the quality of your own teachers. What qualities did those that had the biggest impact on you possess?

Energy? Passion? Interest in their subject? Desire to pass it on to others?
Patience? A sense of wonder and curiousity?

Students learn not just from the orderly organization of lesson plans but from the direct communication and acknowledgement from you.

Today we are exploring video, live conferencing and prerecorded, to enhance the learning experience for your students.

Although the video option has been in existence for some time in distance learning there is a bit of a learning curve required in effectively utilizing the technology.

Now, most computers have built in cameras, you tube has millions of private channels, and reality tv has put "normal" people in the lime light for their 15 seconds of fame. Our students are accustomed to the multitude of multi-media forms of contact.

Let's have some fun getting to know each other in this medium and test some strategies for connecting in this way.

You are medium.... and the medium is the message.
Well!

That last session was very educational. If you read the transcript of the chat it sounds positively inane.... but I keep remembering that much of it is in response to the audio which worked pretty well and the video which was an interesting experience.

For a limited time we succeeded in having 5 people on video at one time. It can handle six. I am guessing that the others haven't unpacked their webcams.

How was it???? To see your colleagues???? To interact this way????

You know it is only going to become more prevalent... this video conference and pre-made video option so we might as well start gaining the skills to do it now.

In reflecting on this seminar, we had time just to plug in the equipment and see it work... as well as play with the functionality of Adobe Conference Pro and Elluminate as well as some clever maneuvering to get videos visible with Wendy and Sylvia's help.

The next step? or steps?

well Nellie asked the question in her last video post about how I got my video to look the way it did.

Here is what I did... as per the pdf download that was posted on the forum:

1. Made sure my face was brighter than the background.
2. Made the background very simple, not distracting by hanging a coloured sheet behind me.
3. I shaved... no make-up this time..... though that is an option.
4. I recorded 6 short segments and picked the best ones.
5. I talked mostly about what you can do. If I talked about me, it was in relation to what can work for you.

Point 5: Very important, and we did not get into this very much. Just getting the technology to work took some time.

The next step is the art and skill of you as a presenter.
This is why I asked you for this week to deliver an intro for your course or service or event.

It has three parts:

1. Who am I (credentialize yourself)
2. Why I am here (talking to you)
3. What's in it for you to do what I am suggesting.

Keep it short, don't ramble, always leave them wanting more.
Paying attention to this is the difference between playing with the technology and using it to serve your ends.

and this is where we must go to really have the video capability help us in our striving to be better educators.

Remember! it is not going away! This is not a fad! Bandwidth will grow more and more and you have a unique opportunity to get a handle on it now.

I appreciate all of your input. If you are still following you are welcome to post another video.

Thanks so much Elizabeth Anne for showing up. Also its really nice to see videos shot outside. Its a reminder that it is spring and to go outside. I didn't mean to be harsh on lurkers and I appreciate you reframing the word for me.
In a seminar like this it helps when more people take the plunge.
For my learning style.... I love seeing the people that I am interacting with at least once.
Thanks Dierdre.
Its all balance.

Each one of us learns differently. By experimenting with all the options we have more chances to connect, and just never know who will respond.

Perhaps a few of you have had bad experiences with watching video introductions. Some folks might go on and on about things that have no relevance to their listeners. No one here of course.
The best rule is the same one for any performer.....
Keep it focussed on the purpose.... and.....
Always leave them wanting more!