Posts made by Betty Gilgoff

Hi all, my name is Betty Gilgoff. I'm an Inservice Faculty Associate for Field Programs at Simon Fraser University here in the Vancouver lower mainland. In my job I work with various school districts to run graduate diploma programs for teachers. Mostly I'm responsible for the Teaching and Learning in an Information Technology Environment diploma programs, although recently I've also taken on a program called Teaching and Learning for Global Perspectives.

This issue of copyright is important for all of us in education but reading about the digital copyright issue really struck home with me. I know this is of increasing concern as we all become more proficient at scanning and creating pdf versions of materials we use. I am following this discussion with great interest. Working so closely as I do with public school teachers throughout the lower mainland, I'm well aware of the concern that teachers and students have over the lack of knowledge about what is ok and what isn't. Recently learning more about creative commons has been an eyeopener for me and I know the teachers I've shared that with have appreciated learning about the sources of information that are they can legitimately make use of in their classrooms.

As to what I own, funny that I think of it only as tangible property such as house, car, and "stuff". Intellectual property hasn't really been a concern for me. I guess my immersion in the development and use of web2.0 resources made me really appreciative of creative commons licensing when I stumbled upon it because I really look at knowledge building as a community enterprise. To me that way of thinking really makes sense, although perhaps not economic sense to those doing a lot of the writing and developing. Interesting thinking.
Hi Brenda, I find it so interesting to read everyone's introductions here and see the connections between us all.  In your case Brenda, you and I do some very similar work. I work in Vancouver, B.C. with Simon Fraser University as an Inservice Faculty Associate supporting teachers completing graduate diploma programs (advanced work in education, possibly laddering to a Masters program). To date all of the programs I'm involved with are helping teachers integrate technology into their teaching. 

A large part of our program involves running summer institutes for teachers. Over this past year we have also begun incorporating a SCoPE classroom into our program by introducing it and building it into the Summer Institute. I've been delighted with the initial use of SCoPE to help teachers connect and discuss on line. Whereas in the past we've had some connection between participants within various cohort or community groups, this year with SCoPE we have managed to start connections and conversations across cohorts so that participants in various cities across the province have connected over issues and specific technology or learning needs. It has been fascinating to watch and to support.