Discussions started by Jeffrey Keefer

I did not see a space for introductions, so decided to create one (which may relate to being empowered to do so, as per workshop topic #3!).

I just received a notification about this workshop here at SCoPE, and am very much looking forward to it. As I mentionedin my blog post this morning, I think now is a perfect time for this topic.

I am Jeffrey Keefer, and live and work in New York City. I am a project manager within clinical education in a large nursing organization in the city. I also am a doctoral student at Lancaster University in e-Research and Technology Enhanced Learning, and I am an adjunct instructor at New York University and Pace University, right here in Manhattan.

As my own research touches areas of cultural studies and critical theory, I am really looking forward to this session!

I started to email this to Sylvia via Facebook, but thought I should reply to my own posting here instead for the benefit of those here in the session and not for Facebook (since I am not fond of the Facebook privacy settings).

This is a wonderful (and from my perspective very useful and important) session at SCoPE, but it falls right in the middle of American Thanksgiving and the transition to a Christmas time of the year, which for many Americans (especially those in retail and business) is a very busy time. I wish I can participate more fully with this here at SCoPE, but find the time management a challenge.

This group seems somewhat active, but I have noticed a lot of good idea that I want to comment on and try and work with, but simply cannot due to the brief time we have together and the hectic time of the year (one of the live sessions was even scheduled on American Thanksgiving). I am wondering if my situation is unique or if others have a similar situation that precludes participating in something so rich, yet seemingly as rushed as we are with this time frame?

The organizers have done so much work preparing for this, and without the rich participation of those of us here to learn and share from one another, some may not realize all the benefits.

[SCoPE] Book -> Main Forum -> Book Objective

by Jeffrey Keefer -

I think this is a great book idea, but I think I want to first discuss the objectives for the book, especially before discussing the potential chapters. Blogging is a wide topic, as well as education, so what objective do we want to have in writing a book? What is the expected audience? Will this be more academic or more practitioner focused? Do we want to book to be an integrated whole or have chapters that are somewhat unrelated (save blogging in education)?

What do you think?