Posts made by Cindy Underhill

Hi Dave,

The intent of the exercise with the Personas exhibit - wasn't so much about interpretation as it was about gathering a visual sense of what the internet sees about David Brear! As the creators of the exhibit state: "it is meant for the viewer to reflect on our current and future world, where digital histories are as important if not more important than oral histories, and computational methods of condensing our digital traces are opaque and socially ignorant."

You may have found that the portrayal of you was partly accurate and filled with many errors and that's the point. There are some things about our online selves that we can manage and some things we have no control over. That's why it's important for us to take some time to reflect on the ways that we interact with our online spaces everyday. What are we learning? Who are we interacting with and why? What pits did we fall into along the way and how can this inform how we guide others who are grappling with these issues along side us?

Cindy
Hi Wendy and Julia,

Given the interests you have both shared, I thought you might want to know about some resources that we developed (related to the digital tattoo project) for a couple of specific audiences here in Vancouver:

1. Resources for teacher candidates in the Faculty of Education at UBC:
http://www.slideshare.net/digitaltattoo/digital-identity-for-student-teachers
2. Resources for grade 9 class on the topic:
http://www.slideshare.net/digitaltattoo/digital-tattoo-whats-yours

In both cases, the idea was to present a few relevant case studies and a set of questions for small group discussion. Following the learning design for the website, we don't want to be prescriptive, but rather have people think about their own level of comfort with online sharing, etc.

With the teacher candidates, we also wanted them to explore the case studies from 3 different perspectives: as individuals, as practicing teachers and as part of the larger profession of teaching. Looking at the issues through multiple lenses offered an opportunity to see some of the "sticky" places - where many different interests need to be negotiated and addressed.

Look forward to hearing more about your observations and your research!

Cindy

Hi,

Thanks for the introduction, Sylvia.

Trish and I will be tag teaming in the discussion over the next few weeks. This morning, she'll be logging on to lay the groundwork for a short, interesting (we hope) activity to set the stage for our discussion. I'll check in again later today.

I'm looking forward to sharing what we're learning in our work with the digital tattoo project as well as hearing about your observations and experiences grappling with the issues around digital identity and (to some extent) the broader issues related to digital literacy and fluency.

All for now,
Cindy