Posts made by Karen Baker

Greetings!  I am Karen Parrish Baker from Morehead State University in Kentucky (USA).  I am an associate professor, master degree level adult and higher education administration program, and online instructor.  My interests are two fold.  First, I am a 2006-2007 University of Minnesolta PASS IT Fellow (see descriptive passage below) charged with facilitating professional development opportunities about Universal Instructional Design at my campus and to colleagues in my academic areas of expertise.  For those who may not be familiar with PASS IT:

PASS IT (“Pedagogy and Student Services for Institutional Transformation") seeks to address a compelling need in higher education by developing a corps of trainers to facilitate professional development workshops in the implementation of Universal Design (UD) and Universal Instructional Design (UID) in higher education. UID, an adaptation of the architectural concept of Universal Design, is a relatively new model for providing access to higher education for students with disabilities. Through UD and UID, staff and faculty create more welcoming spaces for all students by rethinking professional practices to develop curricula and programs that are inclusive for all learners. When faculty and staff implement UD and UID as they begin planning for a course, program, or activity by taking into consideration the strengths and challenges of all students, they reduce or eliminate the need to provide last-minute accommodations or to segregate students on the basis of individual needs. (Excerpt retrieved 12/4/06 from: http://www.education.umn.edu/passit/articles/celebrateGrant.html.)

Second, as an online instructor, I have my own concerns about accessiblity issues as our university moves more of its courses and academic programs online.  Consequently, I view this discussion opportunity as part of my own professional development to enrich my understanding and applicabilility of strategies for increasing accessibility for students, faculty and staff.

Greetings!  I am Karen Parrish Baker from Morehead State University in Kentucky (USA).  I am an associate professor, master degree level adult and higher education administration program, and online instructor.  My interests are two fold.  First, I am a 2006-2007 University of Minnesolta PASS IT Fellow (see descriptive passage below) charged with facilitating professional development opportunities about Universal Instructional Design at my campus and to colleagues in my academic areas of expertise.  For those who may not be familiar with PASS IT:

PASS IT (“Pedagogy and Student Services for Institutional Transformation") seeks to address a compelling need in higher education by developing a corps of trainers to facilitate professional development workshops in the implementation of Universal Design (UD) and Universal Instructional Design (UID) in higher education. UID, an adaptation of the architectural concept of Universal Design, is a relatively new model for providing access to higher education for students with disabilities. Through UD and UID, staff and faculty create more welcoming spaces for all students by rethinking professional practices to develop curricula and programs that are inclusive for all learners. When faculty and staff implement UD and UID as they begin planning for a course, program, or activity by taking into consideration the strengths and challenges of all students, they reduce or eliminate the need to provide last-minute accommodations or to segregate students on the basis of individual needs. (Excerpt retrieved 12/4/06 from: http://www.education.umn.edu/passit/articles/celebrateGrant.html.)

Second, as an online instructor, I have my own concerns about accessiblity issues as our university moves more of its courses and academic programs online.  Consequently, I view this discussion opportunity as part of my own professional development to enrich my understanding and applicabilility of strategies for increasing accessibility for students, faculty and staff.