Discussions started by Emma Duke-Williams

It seems as if Wave itself is going to end as a standalone tool; though some aspects are going to be included in other tools.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/update-on-google-wave.html

(We'd just started having some ideas for next academic year when it became part of Educational Apps ... glad that it didn't stop part way through the year!)

Emma

SCoPE - Winding up.

Thanks to everyone for participating - sharing tools, and ideas, and, most importantly playing in the waves.

Early next week, I intend to try to collate useful posts / URLs / etc to a single document.

So, what do you want to see in that document? I've started a wave ... but for those that prefer Moodle - use this forum ... and I'll try to combine.

(Unless, of course, you'd rather do a wiki - in which case - start and share .. but guess we need to limit ourselves a little - or the information's going to be even more thinly distributed!)

I thought I'd start a new thread moving towards the ideas for next week; looking at some of the practicalities of using wave, or, indeed, introducing any collaborative tools to students.

We've already got some good thoughts coming out about the pedagogies of their use, but I'm thinking more of the practical issues

I asked earlier both in Wave & the Scope Moodle about how we were using collaborative tools with peers - and was a little surprised that none of you answered - maybe it was too much of an obvious question! ( SCoPE - Collaborative Tools and peers. )

As I'd also asked about Tools (which moved towards pedagogies), I thought I'd try with a tool that I really feel uncomfortable with ... MindMapping - to try to summarise the key points. Mindmapping's one of those things that I know suits a lot of people, and it's something I encourage my students to use, though I don't really like them myself - especially not in a collaborative sense; I can just about cope with them from a personal organisational pointof view. Given, however, that I've also said that I feel it's very hard to really encourage students to use techniques that I'm not happy with, I figured that this was the ideal opportunity for you to all encourage me to see the benefits of collaborative? cooperative? mindmapping.

I've put it in MindMeister - & have set the password as moodle - so hopefully you can all have a go at editing it (please do!) - but anyone just finding it can't destroy it too much :)

http://www.mindmeister.com/44197657/scope-collaboration-seminar

I wasn't quite sure what to call this wave - "other lecturers" is probably too
  • British
  • Ignoring those of us who have non-teaching type roles etc.,

"Colleagues" could have caused you to think about those in the same workplace, rather than other workplaces etc; so peer seemed the best term!

From my own point of view, I like to use things I'm contemplating using with students to see if they have the potential to be a good tool in terms of learning (though, to be honest, I can't think, off hand, of a tool I've found useful with other staff that I couldn't see a way of using with students).

I've used various tools with peers - clearly I'm using wave now for sharing ideas, and I see that Sylvia has started a wave (  SCoPE -- Google Wave: Advice and Guidelines for Educators ) where we'll hopefully be collaboratively creating a guide.

I've also used Google Docs for developing proposals for conferences etc., (though at times we have found the time it took us to get it into the right template for conference X a bit time consuming; fine if they just want text!)

I'm not convinced that I've used other tools really "collaboratively" with my peers - though may have used some tools that have the potential to be used collaboratively, but have really just used them to share ideas / create artefacts.

(Also posting this to Wave, for those who prefer that platform) BritishIgnoring those of us who have non-teaching type roles etc., "Colleagues" could have caused you to think about those in the same workplace, rather than other workplaces etc; so peer seemed the best term! From my own point of view, I like to use things I'm contemplating using with students to see if they have the potential to be a good tool in terms of learning (though, to be honest, I can't think, off hand, of a tool I've found useful with other staff that I couldn't see a way of using with students).I've used various tools with peers - clearly I'm using wave now for sharing ideas, and I see that Sylvia has started a wave ( SCoPE -- Google Wave: Advice and Guidelines for Educators ) where we'll hopefully be collaboratively creating a guide. I've also used Google Docs for developing proposals for conferences etc., (though at times we have found the time it took us to get it into the right template for conference X a bit time consuming; fine if they just want text!) I'm not convinced that I've used other tools really "collaboratively" with my peers - though may have used some tools that have the potential to be used collaboratively, but have really just used them to share ideas / create artefacts. (Also posting this to Moodle, for those who prefer that platform) " data-wave-annotations="776,834,link%2Fwave,googlewave.com!w%2BgF6sSP2DG:" class="__wave_paste">