Posts made by Christine Horgan

hello Sylvia:

Mostly, I have to listen and learn in these conversations, but I would like to offer up a piece of very wise advise I picked up at an EduCAUSE conference a couple of years ago.

A paraphrase (which, of course, runs the risk of my reinterpretation) that goes something like this: when you're thinking of introducing some piece of educational technology into a course design/development, ask yourself what you hope to achieve by doing so, and ask yourself whether or not you could achieve the same thing by some other method.

This was not a luddite talking, but a distinquished prof and expert in e-learning. I've thought on this many, many times. In my school, we complete around 50 curriculum projects/year and my early questions in every project are Why are we doing this? what do we hope to achieve? what's the best way to approach this course?

Just something to think on (or not).

Cheers, Chris

Hello:

1. motivation: the desire to learn something new (or add to something already known) and the willingness to take the necessary risks and do the necessary work to get the learning done.

2. Adults/online learning: I should think it ties into the answer to #1. Sometimes, online learning is the fastest, most efficient way to complete some learning even if it's not a person's first choice. Rather than seeing online learning as a barrier, the motivated learner will learn how to use online learning as a vehicle to the learning she/he really wants.

3. quite frankly, not sure. I know that many folks say that creating an online community is important and an important part of supporting a learner's motivation, must lots of folks couldn't care less about the community....

4. For those adults who enjoy learning on line, or for those adults who accept that its a vehicle for learning, absolutely. For many others (who may have other learning barriers), online learning might not be the most useful way to learn.

Interesting topic. Thanks.

Christine (Chris) Horgan

SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary, Alberta.

Hello:

Vance makes some interesting and useful observations.

What is participation? As an experienced lurker in SCoPE, I can say that I am still an active participant because I read every posting and I take on the role of a little sponge sucking up knowledge and ideas from more knowledgeable and experienced colleagues. If you count "thinking and reflecting time" then I'm very active.

I'm getting to explore ideas and tools I might not have/make the time to do if left to myself.

and so, for me, SCoPE works.

Thanks, Christine (Chris) Horgan, SAIT Polytechnic, Calgary