Posts made by Christine Horgan

Alannah:

Just in case it's useful, here's a link to the Canadian Language Benchmarks Assessment http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/internationalstudents/pdf/CLBA1107.pdf

Unlike TOEFL-type tests, this test covers reading, writing, speaking, and listening. I'm far from an expert with this product, but it's one we use at my institution as a benchmark. Just a guess: other countries have something similar. You're right: a documented ability to function in a language is only part of the picture....

Cheers, Chris

Wayne:

Love your comment about, "you can't tell volunteers what to do." You might be able to. The Scouts movement in Calgary interviews and trains its volunteers and the job description is very clear. ... Just a thought.

Don't know whether or not there's been a negative impact on the volunteer base.

As a regular volunteer myself (of many things) when it's a big commitment, I certainly appreciate knowing what's expected of me so I can select in or out or pace myself with my other commitments.

Cheers, Chris

Prince:

There was a time where Athabasca U's courses/credentials were seen as "poor cousins," but I don't believe that's the case  any more. AU has long been the leader in open education and it long ago earned respectability. Perhaps the OER movement is where AU was 30+ years ago.

cheers, Chris