Discussions started by Derek Murray

This is very practical for me since this activity will be happening on Thursday! Students in my class (HIST 209 - History of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada) wrote their midterm exam last week, and I will be handing back the graded exams this week.

Context

• The course is structured using the Team-Based Learning model, so students are in the same teams every week.
  • The class meets once per week in a 3-hour block. There are 35 students.
  • Very little class time is spent lecturing (about 15-20% usually) and most of the time is spent in guided team activities.
  • Most of their discussions happen in their regular teams, though there are always full class discussions and sometimes I have them discuss things outside their teams using Impromptu Networking, 1-2-4-All, or similar strategies.
  • Half of the students are multi-lingual learners, primarily from South Asia, many in their first semester in Canada, and the other half are mostly students from the Lower Mainland, many of whom are in teacher-track programs.

Current Version of Activity

Usually after a midterm I have students do a reflection activity that is either a variation on 3-2-1, or something that looks like this:

• First: What was the most important theme or concept that you learned about in the first half of the course? Why?
    • (1) Take a minute to write down your response. (2) Share with a partner. (4) Create groups of 4 [variation: go back to your team] and make rationale for a consensus choice. (ALL) Defend your choice to the class and discuss.

• Second: What did you do before the exam that helped you succeed? Share in your teams. Then, choose one new strategy that you will implement in preparing for the final exam. [Teams then discuss and share back their key takeaways to the class.]

I am trying to think of a way to enhance the metacognitive aspect of this activity, or to change it completely if necessary. I've found this does generally work well in other non-TBL courses, but I am curious if there is a way to leverage TBL to make it even more effective. The reading from Joseph Ball ("Connect-Extend-Challenge") helped to shape my thinking on this question, and I am building off the "Five Tips" article by John Spencer, specifically the "Integrate Self-Assessment" part.

Revised Version of Activity

• First [no change to this part]: What was the most important theme or concept that you learned about in the first half of the course? Why?
    • (1) Take a minute to write down your response. (2) Share with a partner. (4) Create groups of 4 [variation: go back to your team] and make rationale for a consensus choice. (ALL) Defend your choice to the class and discuss.

• Second: Start by answering the following questions [write or type responses]:
    • Which parts of the exam did you do well on? Why? (i.e. what study strategies did you use to prepare?)
    • Which parts of the exam did you do poorly on? Why? (i.e. what was missing in your study strategy?)
    • How much better do you want to do on the final exam? (i.e. make a specific goal, e.g. B+ instead of C+)
    • Start, stop, continue: What is one thing you will start doing, one thing you will stop doing, and one thing you will continue doing in order to reach your goal?
    • Share in your teams. Then, choose one new strategy that you will implement in preparing for the final exam. [Teams then discuss and share back their key takeaways to the class.]

Is that too many questions? Or is it manageable? I usually give about 30 minutes in class for this whole activity. I am attaching two slides that will be used to provide instructions. All of your feedback is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Derek

Thank you for the welcome Leonne and Viviana!

I am writing to you from rainy Victoria as an uninvited guest on the traditional territories of Lekwungen and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples. I am slowly becoming more aware of how this place influences the way I think and how that changes when I move to a different location, with different people.

I registered for this MicroCourse because now that I have been out of school for a while (after almost 16 years as a post-secondary student) I feel a need to connect with formal learning opportunities as often as I can fit them into my schedule. I keep thinking to myself I should go back and get another degree, but this seems like a better place to start. :)

I also thought the topic looked interesting, and something out of the ordinary.

When I think of metacognition, I go back to an early ISW experience when we asked participants to start by sharing with a partner their answer to the question: "How does learning happen?" Because we had an odd number of participants, I was also prompted to reconsider that question myself. My own response went back to an experience as an upper-level undergrad, when a professor challenged me on a deeply-held belief that I had about the past. To be challenged in this way was frustrating and unsettling, but also probably one of the most powerful learning experiences of my academic career.

When I think about how learning happened for me in that experience, it was through confrontation with an idea that did not readily fit into my way of looking at the world. When I think of metacognition, I think about the ways that my mental network of ideas is structured and how it evolves. How do new ideas fit? Can I find a place for them in the existing structure? Or do I need to change the structure? As I get older, I start to wonder if the structure becomes more difficult to change? I am a historian, not a psychologist, so I don't pretend to have a great understanding of this process, but there are many cliches which do.

I find that a lot of students say things like "I am a visual learner" or "I prefer to listen to lectures" and then close themselves off to other ways of learning, especially when I am asking them to collaborate. Of course, we all have different preferences and different abilities, but we know that learning styles are malleable, not hard-wired. I want to know more about strategies that folks use for making learning processes more transparent. How can I make these processes visible to learners in my classroom, or in my workshops, so that they can then manipulate the processes to be more successful?

Also, if you are eligible, and haven't done so yet, get out and vote!

Hi Leonne and Viviana,

I am unsure how to post my response to the opening activity. In the Activity Packet it says to post as a "reply" in the Activity 1 thread, but then in the forum it says to create a new discussion thread, which I see some folks have already done, so I suppose I will do that. Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Derek

Sorry if this information has already been mentioned elsewhere. I am just wondering how long we will have access to this site and the posts on it? I will likely be unable to participate tomorrow because I teach all day, but will be back checking in on Tuesday next week and would like to continue providing (and receiving) feedback if possible. I understand there probably needs to be an end point some time.

Hi all,

Some context for this: it's quite long! I teach Canadian history, American history, and the history of Indigenous Peoples in Canada at Capilano University in North Vancouver. I usually set aside about 15 minutes at the start of the first class of the term for the land acknowledgement, and then probably spend about an hour talking with students about what the acknowledgement means. When I first started teaching I used to feel really awkward doing a land acknowledgement because I didn't see what it would accomplish: if we are not giving the land back, what is the point? It felt disingenuous and like I was just paying lip service to something. My position on that has evolved since then, though I still find it challenging in the sense that, if we are to truly recognize Indigenous title to unceded (and "ceded") land, it may mean giving it back! That's a big deal. This acknowledgement stems from that in-class practice, from what I have learned so far this week (which is a lot!), from what I have learned from elders and colleagues at CapU and from working with Naxaxalhts'i (Sonny McHalsie) of the Stó:lo Nation. I try to change my land acknowledgement each time to make it feel more authentic and more disruptive of colonial narratives, but that is a work in progress and I appreciate any feedback you have on that front!

I am envisioning this acknowledgement in the context of my work at UVic where I am a Learning Experience Designer with Technology Integrated Learning (a unit with the Division of Learning and Teaching Support and Innovation). One of the projects I am working on is a "model course" based in our LMS (Moodle) where faculty at UVic can go and see what an online course looks like, complete with assignments, student contributions, discussion boards, etc. The model course is based on a real course in the history of Canada before Confederation, hence the reference to that course in the acknowledgement below. My intent is that this acknowledgement video and text can go directly into that course as part of the introduction process and establishing the classroom environment.

I look forward to your feedback and appreciate the guiding questions posed by Dianne and Donna.

Transcript:

At the University of Victoria we acknowledge with respect and gratitude the Lkwungen-speaking peoples on whose traditional territory the university stands and the Songhees, Esquimalt and WSÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.

The standard UVic acknowledgement recognizes the importance of ongoing relationships of Indigenous peoples to the land on which our university sits. At the same time, on its own, the statement fails to acknowledge the history of colonialism that sought to destroy those relationships for more than 170 years since even before the founding of the colony of Vancouver Island in 1849. In many ways, those policies continue this work in the present.

For generations since time immemorial, Lekwungen people fished, farmed, hunted, and husbanded on Southeastern Vancouver Island. They not only harvested what the land offered, but they cultivated and shaped the land to ensure that it would continue to provide for future generations. In his history of Aboriginal-white relations, UVic historian John Lutz notes that much of what is now Victoria, including the university campus, was attractive for settlement because it was open meadow that had been cultivated and cared for by the Lekwungen women who tended their families’ camas crops. [1]

When James Douglas and the Hudson Bay Company looked to set up shop here, the Lekwungen provided not only the land, but supplies for the fort, labour to build it, and food to nourish the traders. The Lekwungen were eager trading partners and sought, from their position of power, to develop reciprocally-beneficial relationships with the newcomers.

According to Lekwungen elder Elmer George, the university sits on Chekonein land. Chekonein are one of six family groups comprising the larger Lekwungen nation who, in 1850, signed treaties with Douglas (now Governor) in an attempt by the latter to formally acquire title to Lekwungen lands. [2] By both British and Lekwungen accounts, the treaties ensured continued Lekwungen ownership of village sites and fields, as well as hunting and fishing rights in the surrounding territory.

In this arrangement, Lekwungen people prospered in the 1850s, but in subsequent decades they were hit hard by disease, alcohol, and out-migration. Their population of 700 in 1850 were reduced to 182 in 1876 and stayed around that number for the next 100 years. At the same time, the modern city of Victoria grew up around them and laws like the potlatch ban attempted to stamp out their culture.

In 1911, the Lekwungen band known as Songhees agreed to relocate to a new reserve next to the existing Esquimalt reserve. They continued to prosper, despite their reduced numbers. [3] New laws were brought it to prohibit Indigenous people from fishing and racist hiring practices often made it difficult for the Lekwungen to get work off-reserve, especially during years of economic depression. Every time the Lekwungen gained a new foothold, colonial policies and practices worked to undermine their success. By the 1960s Lekwungen people faced the prospect of starvation and economic destitution. Despite these challenges, they maintained their connection to their land and continue cultivating that connection to this day.

Knowing this history means that I must acknowledge that my presence here was made possible by the welcome offered to Douglas by the Lekwungen, but also by the colonial policies and practices which sought to remove the Lekwungen from their lands. My privilege comes with a steep cost.

What does that mean going forward? Even though I was not here when the treaties were signed, and I played no part in writing oppressive colonial laws, it means that I have a personal responsibility to repair the relationship between Indigenous peoples and newcomers, to listen to the demands of the people who this land belongs to, and, in partnership with First Peoples, to take up the stewardship of the land so that the reciprocal relationships that sustain our presence here can be maintained and nurtured for both present and future generations.

As a historian and an educator, I have the particular responsibility to make this history more widely known, and to instill in students the same respect that I have for the land that sustains us and the people who care for it.

Though I call Victoria home and I am putting down roots here, my origins are elsewhere. On my father’s side my ancestors came to Canada from Ireland in the 1850s and settled in unceded Algonquin territory in the Upper Ottawa Valley. Growing up in a rural community, I understand what Chelsea Vowel means when she refers to “‘the two solitudes’ of Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples” that exists. [4] I knew little about my Indigenous neighbors except what I learned on TV and in Hollywood movies. The picture was not flattering nor was it accurate.

It was only when I came to Victoria to pursue my PhD in History that I really started learning about the ways in which colonialism has shaped, and continues to shape the lives of Indigenous people in this place we now call Canada. My initial purpose in coming here was to get an education and then go home, but that all changed as I now have a family here and we intend to stay here and raise a new generation.

On my mother’s side, my grandfather fought in the Second World War with the Polish contingent of the British Eighth Army. After the war, he was warned by friends not to return to Poland and so he decided to go to Canada instead where he worked as an indentured labourer. My grandmother fled Nazi-occupied Serbia, walking for days and hiding in barns along the way. She also came to Canada after the war where she was reuinted with her parents, who had emigrated in the 1930s.

As a descendant of refugees and displaced persons on both sides of my family, I am aware of the lengths people will go in order to make a better life for themeslves and I have been taught about what it is like to lose one’s home and connection to a place. As someone privileged to partake in higher education, and to now be working and teaching in a university setting, I am also aware of my own responsibilities.

What does it mean to be welcoming? What does it mean to share the wealth that we enjoy in this place? What does it mean to develop right relationships with the land and with other people?

History, as a discipline, does not directly answer these questions. But, it provides a lense through which we can come to better understand the human experience, to comprehend connections to place and time, and to put change in context.

In teaching this course on the history of Canada before Confederation, I hope that I can help you to become more aware of the long-standing relationships that people have to this place where we are learning and to develop the skills necessary to move forward in a way that respects those relationships, and your place in them, in a more profound way.

I am looking forward to learning with you along the way!

[1] John S. Lutz, Makύk: A New History of Aboriginal-White Relations (Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, 2008), 67.

[2] For a quick overview of the "Douglas Treaties" see Anthony J. Hall, "Treaties with Indigenous Peoples in Canada," in The Canadian Encyclopedia, 6 June 2011, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/aboriginal-treaties (accessed 14 May 2019).

[3] Lutz, Makύk, 101–2.

[4] âpihtawikosisân (Chelsea Vowel), “Beyond territorial acknowledgements,” September 23, 2016, https://apihtawikosisan.com/2016/09/beyond-territorial-acknowledgments/ (accessed 14 May 2019).