Posts made by Hillarie Zimmermann

I agree that it would be more useful to do something specific in the second part.  That could be a discussion or I could, as the instructor, take everyone's stated strengths and develop a bit of an inventory of "experts" in the class that could be called on throughout the year to share their expertise. 

Hi Alice,  I was thinking that student would "wing it" as a way to access prior knowledge and then we might cover some specific processes and frameworks after the activity.  I guess it could be done either way.  I could also provide some resources to help guide students in this activity.  Thanks for this question!

According to a 2013 Forbes article, "By knowing your workplace strengths, the strengths of others, and the big picture of how these strengths fit together, people can much more easily work in their sweet spot and not be dragged into areas where they can’t add a lot of value."

Imagine that you have started at a new job and you have been asked to work as part of a team to complete a project.  Your manager has asked your team to go through a strength's finding exercise before starting to work on your project to ensure that each of you are bringing your strongest skills to the project. 

What process might you go through to find out each other's strengths?

What are your strengths as it relates to the project (for the purposes of this discussion we are going to use the COMM100 learning outcomes as "the project").

Your task:

1.  In your assigned group, discuss the process you will use to find out each other's strengths.  Brainstorm your ideas (you might want to set up a shared Google document for your brainstorm) and then share your process in the discussion forum.
  2. Individually, identify your strengths as they relate to the course outcomes and post these strengths on the discussion forum.  As we move through this course, we will know who has strengths in certain areas and we will be able to call on each other for this expertise!
Groups:

Group 1 - Alice, Andrew, Beth, Colleen, Hillarie
Group 2 - Emma, Faith, Gina, Jeff, Sylvia
Group 3 - Joerdis, Junko, Karen, Khairunnisa, Timothy
Group 4 - Leonne, Melissa, Sanjay, Susan

Hi Sue,  Thank you so so much for your detailed feedback.  I really appreciate the time you took to review my TPS and provide such insightful and helpful comments.  I feel like you have given me a gift!  I have not had the chance to look at your comments in detail nor incorporate some of your suggestions.  I really look forward to sitting down with your comments and reflecting on them.  I hope to do this in the next couple of weeks.  Thanks!