Discussions started by Tara Vanderveer

Oh this was such a useful exercise! I have thought of and developed a few activities, but I think this is the one I will be able to use in my classes right now. I had to think about how to create community beyond just the first day icebreaker stuff, so I challenged myself to come up with something that is appropriate and useful at this time of the term - MIDTERMS.

The activity uses Padlet which most of my learners are familiar with and have the app for (recommended app on syllabus). I think it will help build community because they can see each other's thoughts on the term/encourage each other and the image becomes part of the course aesthetic. I also think it works well for a variety of class delivery modes and sizes. 

Challenges: Ensuring participation...no grade = no effort?

My activity: 

Find/Create, post, vote!

As we approach the middle of the term, it is important to remind ourselves of where we have come from and what we feel about our class' journey ahead. Do some searching and find an image that summarizes what this class has meant to you and will mean to you going forward. Can't find the perfect post? Make one! Post your found or created image here.  Be sure to like and vote on others too!

The top 10 images will be identified and we will vote, in class, to select our #MidtermMotivation image. 

(The winning image would then be displayed as the class banner on D2L and printed on the back of the midterm exam). 

I was also thinking another variation could be to have learners take #StudySelfie and post it to padlet or twitter with a midterm prep tip!

Hey guys, 

Being a bit greedy here by posting another, but I am struggling with a good rubric to evaluate the feedback students give each other.

I have a written assignment that they peer evaluate and then I evaluate them on the quality of feedback they provide. I have never done it before, but here is what I am working on...

Does anyone have a "Go-To" rubric for this type of assessment or comments for me on this one?

Thank you all for your generosity in feedback and conversation!!!

Tara

Hi everyone,

I know some of you have seen this already, but it is the rubric I am using in my 1st/2nd year science for nursing writing assignments. You will notice it is a single point rubric. This is because I am tired of having to write things like does not, does somewhat, does, does well, does exceptionally. Also, I believe there is some subjectivity in what qualifies as something below or above the standard assignment requirements. The standards listed, if met, would warrant a C. We are hoping to instill in our learners that just meeting the requirements is not an A.

It is also a rubric that we are trying to develop to use as a single rubric for the entire program. The idea is that learners will get the rubric in year 1 to know what is expected for their writing throughout the course as nursing students/future nurses. We are thinking of adjusting the weight of things for each year so that it is focused mostly on mechanics in year 1 and then transitions to being mostly about critical thinking and generation of ideas by 4th year. Sort of a 1 rubric to rule them all! :)

Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

I have been thinking about modifying and the AAC&U Value rubrics to assess things (say writing) across all years of a program. So every year, the learners are assessed with the same rubric so they know what the expectations are throughout the program. Thinking of maybe assigning different weights to different sections as the learners progress. For example, in year 1, more weight on mechanics and in year 4 more weight on original thought/critical thinking.

Has anyone done something like this? Come across any resources that supports this?

Looking forward to your responses!

Tara

Hi guys,

On Twitter recently, I saw this post. I am really tempted to explore this option in my classes because I HATE doing things like. Does not understand, Understands somewhat, Understands, Understands well, Understands excellently. UGH!!! I also HATE that learners feel like if they did the bare minimum they should get an A....Trying to investigate ways to get around that.

Here is one options. Check out the SinglePointRubric here: https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/single-point-rubric/

I have attached similar idea I am playing with...I like the GrowthMindset-type descriptions of each level....not sure about it all though...

Interested to know your thoughts!

Nakurmiik,

Tara (Twitter: TaraVatNAC)